Conn River Gold...

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey everyone...

Just came across a couple of photos of something I found while diving for bottles along the Connecticut River. My diving buddy and I found a spot that produced some nice glass and while fanning through a small area of sand I caught a glimpse of something shiny.

It turned out to be an old gold pocket watch! We were diving near some old pilings, possibly a steamship landing. There was a lot of trash, iron spikes, pilings etc, but out in the open here it was... No metal detector being used... this was found just looking... :o

I sent the watch to a watchmaker in Alabama and he couldn't find the correct movement, but he did say it tested to be 12 kt and the last time someone had worked on the watch was in 1878 (according to the watchmakers stamp on the inside of the back cover). Of course the movement was badly deteriorated, but the case was perfect. I'd love to find the correct size movement and make this into a real working piece.

I can't wait to return to this spot (I have the GPS numbers on this one) with a good underwater metal detector.! ;)

Wayne

Attachments

• gold watch1.JPG
    gold watch1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 459
  • gold watch2.JPG
    gold watch2.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 452
  • gold watch3.JPG
    gold watch3.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0

Karma Guy

Nov 12, 2006
Kirkland, Wa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Sounds like you might've hit a real sweet spot on the river if that watch wasn't buried, bound to be more goodies. Send more pics when you find anything....even spare tires...lol

KG

China-Clipper

Greenie
Feb 23, 2007
Lebanon, Connecticut, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, DFX, 6000 PRO XL, Classic I & III, and Excaliber 1000
Wow, great find! By the looks of your avatar, you have all the cold weather diving gear. I just signed up for PADI Open Water course. I hope to extend my treasure hunting to deeper water. I've never dove before...I hope I can get used to it ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread