dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
got out for a coupla hours yesterday, and went back to the old house site where i found the 1809 half cent and george II halfpenny last week, and managed to pull this connecticut copper out of the ground with my se. it wasn't far from the half cent hole, but was masked by a square head nail that made the signal pretty iffy. once i got my pinpointer down in the hole, though, i knew it was gonna be good. at first i thought it was a really crude counterfeit george II or something (i've pulled a machins mills out of this site as well), but it didn't look quite right. wasn't until i got it home and got some water on it that i could see the CONNEC on the obverse and the ET LIB on the right side of the reverse. the details are a little faded and the date is gone, but looks to be a 1787, maybe 1788. appears to be a slightly off-center strike, and there's enough detail in the two ribbons between the spear and shield to rule out the 1785 and 1786 varieties that i looked at, but i'm not sure if i can narrow down the variation any further. any suggestions would be appreciated. HH, dwayne

Attachments

• img103.jpg
    img103.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 492
  • img104.jpg
    img104.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 485
Upvote 0

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
electrolis that baby and it will clean up nicely... If it's copper... Nice. I would like to see it after it's clean

Happy Hunting

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Very cool find. :thumbsup:

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
Twin Digger said:
electrolis that baby and it will clean up nicely... If it's copper... Nice. I would like to see it after it's clean

Happy Hunting

Can you help me out on that? I have tried olive oil and other ways...but never any luck. Thanks!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might have to be happy with it being a CT, and not much more. Good dig.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, be happy you can ID it as a CT copper, when they are like that, that is basically as good as it will ever be, regardless of any "cleaning" method. Looks like it was in either a swampy area or some type of heavily moisturized conditions, last coin I found like that was in the bottom of a mud puddle. ;)

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the copper!!! You never know how they are gonna look till you dig em! But at least you can ID that one!

WTG!
Neil

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey guys, thanks for the support. yeah, i figured i wouldn't be able to get any more info out of it, but you never know...

don- yes, the clay soil here in upstate ny is probably not as kind as the sandy loam down in sj. the site is actually on a hillside, but it's a bit of a wet hillside. kinda reminds me of the hills of scotland where you get to the top and there's standing water. there are underground clay drainage pipes in this field that date back to at least the late 19th century. i've found a few draped bust cents there that have heartbreakingly good detail on the back, but unreadable dates on the front. never sure whether to attribute that to ground conditions and fertilizer or to a weak strike, or probably both.

anyway, i'm pleased as punch to have saved this one from the ground. HH, dwayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread