Consolacion Shipwreck

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Hello All:

I just ran into Bill Seliger Jr. yesterday and he is the epitomy of what I am talking about in the treasure hunter vs. archaeologist debate. I first met Bill in 2000 when he came and did some diving for HRD, he was pretty serious about treasure diving and ended up diving for John Brandon for a year or two, always learning new things. The past five years or so he has been living in Ecuador doing what he loves, working for serveral different companies diving for treasure.

Yesterday he gave me a copy of his newly published book Isla El Muerto and the Treasure of the Consolacion. It is the first any only book out there on the Consolacion. He did a fantastic job and this is quite a feather in his cap. Here is a treasure hunter, who took the time to keep a journal and document his own activities and then wrote a book about his experiences and the history of the shipwreck they discovered and its subsequent excavation.

This is what I am talking about...I am not saying everyone out there needs to go out and publish a book, but take an hour or so and write and article for Scuba News or Sport Diver etc. I remember when Skin Diver Magazine was full of shipwreck stories, (just look at some of the old issues form the 60's and 70's) then it started becoming more about dive gear reviews and I stopped subscribing and not too long after that the long-time magazine went under. The bottom line is you don't need to publish an article in an academic journal. Just write something and you never know.

Anyway, my hat goes off to Bill for doing it right and showing that a treaure hunter can put out a top notch publication.

By the way, if interested, The book is available exclusively through West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach.

Rob

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That will be an interesting read, thanks for the heads up Rob. And thanks for dropping by with the video last night, we enjoyed watching it and seeing you and your family again.

Jason

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
The book has lots of great color photos...is well written and also contains a section on other shipwrecks of the Armada de Mar del Sur (South Seas Armada). That fleet usually consisted of 4 to 6 ships that would transport treasure from South America up the Pacific coast, where it was taken overland and eventually to Havana. There the treasure would typically be divided among ships comprising a larger fleet, typically 15-30 vessels (sometimes even more). There were more hurricanes and a greater number of pirates operating in the Caribbean, so each vessel typically carried less treasure as that leg of the voyage was considered by the Spanish to be the more dangerous. Thus the ships of the Armada de Mar del Sur carried a greater amount of treasure per ship so these wrecks are some of the richest shipwrecks in the world.

For those of you not around Vero interested in getting a copy, they can be ordered via credit card over the phone. West Bay Trading Company, 772 794-3200

Rob

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a copy last night from his dad, Bill Sr., I agree it is a great read, I couldn't put it down!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread