Constructing a New School

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I havent posted much this year just because I had no earth shattering finds to post.... but I thought Iwould share this:

They tore down an elementary school less than 1/2 mile from my house. I had hunted the yard last fall before they closed off the lot for construction and hit 8 silver coins DEEP along the sidewalk after they had taken out the chain link fence. Last week I drove past and noticed the lot was opened back up, and had been bulldozed ALOT. I knew there had been houses on that lot before the first school was built... so I started hunting.... hit an 1844 large cent laying on the ground(patina 95% gone so so reason to post) and an 1864 Indian Head(rust pimples galore and little accident with the brass brush make this one not worth posting)and also a '44s Merc....... but last night I was there hunting, as I have been every night since they opened it up... and bam.... first thing.. 1890 IH but then...... nice solid penny/dime signal... very close to a metal pile... but I dug it n out pops this 1876 Seated Dime...... it has rust looking stuff on it... I cant get it to clean off with soap and water..... then before I leave..... this oddly shaped Brunswick Balke 5 cent trade token...... am hopin to find out hat local business it would have been from.........

Attachments

• seated2.JPG
    seated2.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 856
  • seated3.JPG
    seated3.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 849
  • token5.JPG
    token5.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 884
  • token5b.JPG
    token5b.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 856
Upvote 0

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Theres my seated dime thanks for finding it. you know the address to send it home lol..

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!! :thumbsup:

Ohh, never use a wire brush on coins...

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have to defend the brush decision..... I have saw countless posts on here and had the guy I bought my detector from who has over 30 yrs experience hunting and diving wrecks tell me that a brass bristled brush was ok to clean coins with. The brass is softer than the coin metal and wouldnt hurt the coin, if used lightly. It works great on wheats and most IH's...... so this is why I used that method, and I didnt get out the BBQ brush and go to town on any coin.......

The initials on the token are A W

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
very cool I just sold a brunswick balk pool table ID plate on ebay for 113.00 That I dug I saw some tokens on ebay also but dont remember what they sold 4

Attachments

• Brunswick plate.jpg
    Brunswick plate.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
congrats on selling it for that mcu.... looks a lil rough to me to go that high... but it must be worth way more than I thought.... just goes to show.... anything we dig cn be worth dig bucks.. not just the coins,,,,,

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice job on the 1876 seated dime!!! Thats an excellent find! :thumbsup: Very nice job on the trade token too! I hope you find out which buisness it belongs too! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread