6 More Silvers, 22 Wheats...Finally, A Couple of Videos...Enjoy!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello again Everyone!

Sorry, guys, I know this is becoming monotonous for all of you, but for me it's sheer excitement! :occasion18:

Yesterday morning, Jon(GoldenApples) and I decided to head to a park along the coast in order to stay cool. I could feel the humidity at the park, but we stayed under the shade of the trees a good amount of time. When I saw Jon wearing a black sleeveless jacket, I thought he was nuts. It turns out that the jacket was lined with gel ice packs, so he was feeling great all day.

After arriving at the park, I started to work under a large rubber tree, which was pushing 100 years old. I started pulling one wheatie after another. I would yell out "Wheatie!", while Jon just nodded. I proceeded to pull 12 wheats from under that tree without 1 silver. Finally, near the top of the dirt hill, I got an iffy signal. About 4" in the dirt, I recovered my first silver of the day. A 1916 Merc (no mintmark :-[), which was next to a rusty piece of iron. I was really happy because this was my fourth consecutive hunt with my new coil that I struck silver. So the streak stays alive. After cresting the dirt hill, we came upon a patch of grass. This grassy area turned out to be very productive. Within minutes, I pulled the chopped Rosie, then a merc, then another merc, and still another merc after that. Jon caught a couple of these merc digs on video. Hope you enjoy the video. The second part of the video shows me locating a tough signal next to an underground pipe. So, all in all, it was another awesome day in S. CA. The new SE Pro Coil is a Winner! It even helped Jon to find a silver coin yesterday. Check the second vid out for more details. ::)

Thanks for looking and watching the videos!

Stay well hydrated out there.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

http://www.vimeo.com/1267522?pg=embed&sec=1267522

[video=vimeo;1267554]http://www.vimeo.com/1267554[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_2836_sm.jpg
    IMG_2836_sm.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,450
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Paul4x4 said:
What's with those broken in half coins? :icon_scratch:

Lawnmowers here in S. CA chop the living daylights out of anything in the ground. Frequent, weekly mowings are to blame. I've got a whole pile of chopped silver/wheaties.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Captn_SE said:
Paul4x4 said:
What's with those broken in half coins? :icon_scratch:

Lawnmowers here in S. CA chop the living daylights out of anything in the ground. Frequent, weekly mowings are to blame. I've got a whole pile of chopped silver/wheaties.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Oh, I see. Thanks :)

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Thanks for the videos, they are always a real treat :thumbsup:
HH,
Donny

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Dan..those Mercs are always nice to see in the hole!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008
Congrats! That was a very good day of digging! The silver is a sweet sight for sure. I also like horse item.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dan,

More SILVER! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I'm also focusing on that bird band? and that good luck fob...what material is that? not Silver is it?

Great to see Jon get a Silver on camera too.

My detecting strategy in the heat is to find lots of trees and concentrate there. And it seems a lot of finds wind up under trees for similar reasons...it's a great place to rest in the shade.

HH Joe

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the videos, thanks for posting them

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Dan, thanks for making Jon get those vids!! My coil comes tomorrow!!! I am totally excited, some people are saying they are boosting sensitivity up all the way to 32, have you tried this?

marcus

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
wirebender said:
Dan, thanks for making Jon get those vids!! My coil comes tomorrow!!! I am totally excited, some people are saying they are boosting sensitivity up all the way to 32, have you tried this?

marcus

Thanks, Marcus. I don't like the sensitivity too high. Higher sensitivities beyond 25 in our ground mineralization here in S. CA don't give me any extra depth. What you do get is more overloading on your discriminated out targets (iron/trash, etc.), which causes excessive nulling (losing threshold), which in effect will cause you to lose depth. So higher sensitivities don't always mean deeper targets. Low 20's with the stock coil, upper 20's with the 8" coil. Digging deeper targets comes with experience more than anything. You just have to learn what to listen for on the "Deepies".

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Thanks for the video! Great finds!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
DrJoePrime said:
Dan,

More SILVER! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I'm also focusing on that bird band? and that good luck fob...what material is that? not Silver is it?

Great to see Jon get a Silver on camera too.

My detecting strategy in the heat is to find lots of trees and concentrate there. And it seems a lot of finds wind up under trees for similar reasons...it's a great place to rest in the shade.

HH Joe

Thanks, Joe. No, the bird band is not silver. I wonder if there's a site on the Net where I can find out if the numbers on the band can lead me to a location/bird type, etc.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions