convenience store hunting

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend who works at a 7-11 here. I was hanging out with him the other day and I brought up the subject of cash transactions at his work. I started telling him about silver, what dates and designs to look out for, rim check, etc. Since he has absolutely no interest in silver coins and their value, I asked if he would keep an eye out for me for any old coins or silver coins he might come across. Lo and behold, today he calls and says someone gave him a 1964D roosevelt in change. Score! :icon_thumright: It's not much, but now he knows what to look for. He said he has remembered getting "crazy looking old ones" before, but didn't really think anything of it. Who knows what has come through those doors that has been overlooked. Hopefully someone comes in and buys cigarettes, 7-11 generic brand motor oil, and a King Cobra 40 oz. with silver quarters! Anyone have an experience like this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine is similar..convenience store of a family friend..i asked her if she ever found any old coins..she mentioned she sometimes see large dollars and half dollars being used to purchase, she keeps them until someone asks for it...i asked her to keep it for me from now on..now i'm just waiting for the "first" call :thumbsup:

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like a great opportunity to get some surprise silver. Great set up for the both of you. 40s are your BFF :occasion14:

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where I used to get load of copper pennies, 90% silver dimes, and.....a Peace dollar. I was asked to help out at our god parent's store from time to time when they were shot of staffs. These things made up for my time.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a friend that works in a convenience store, but I tried buying rolls of dimes from the guy who runs the one around the corner from me late at night when I was jonesin' for a coin fix.

He wanted to charge me an extra twenty-five cents per roll.

I told him sure, but there's a thirty-cent charge per $5 bill.

He didn't like that and got pissed, so I told him next time maybe he shouldn't be such a slimy shyster.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I go to a 7/11 by my house and get a few dime rolls, they dont even care to ask why. But then again Ive been going there for a while.

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Convenience stores can have good scores. I posted the other week about my gas station silver quarter score from someone that bought cigarettes with em. :p

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back during my college days (early 1990's) I spent about 3 years working a couple of jobs that had me running a cash register quite often. I broke open countless rolls of coins but found very little. My total finds were an occasional wheatie and 1 lone silver...a beat up '63 Franklin half dollar that a customer used to buy a soda.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My old boss Mr. Cohen got a Indian gold coin working at a gas station in his teens.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a store to get milk and the cashier had a pile of "dirty" coins I asked what they were. She handed me a merc. In all 20 silver dimes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread