Cool Ammo from 1800s Battlefield

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Ammo from 1800's Battlefield

Hey all,

I normally post on the Whites forum as I own the MXT 300. Decided to finally post here. Hit an 1800's battlefield site here in NJ. Weather was lousy. Was literally digging in mud piles. First hour found nothing. Then, BOOM, I hit a very productive little spot where I found (5) old mustket balls. Probably from a spill. I didn't want to leave, but, weather was bad. I'm definitely hitting that spot again soon. Joe

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 0
Re: Cool Ammo from 1800's Battlefield

Can you measure the diameter? I may be wrong, but I think they may be a bit small for musket balls. Musket balls are usually larger than .5 inches. They are also usually made of lead, which typically gets a white powdery looking coating. Also, yours have a flat side, which makes me wonder.

Here is one I found a while back for comparison.

Attachments

• 2007_0729Image0019.JPG
    2007_0729Image0019.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 833
  • 2007_0729Image0019.JPG
    2007_0729Image0019.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 668

Hey Neil,

DaleGM on the Whites Forum classified them as musket balls. I didn't know what in the heck they were. First one I picked up, thought it was a fishing sinker. Couple other folks on the Whites board said it could be grapeshot, whatever that is. As for the weight, didn't officially weigh them. They are heavy little suckers though. Seems to be solid lead. Each about the size of a dime. I actually looked them up online, and they do seem to be musket balls. They even have the seam down the middle from the mold process and the flat part of where the tube was inserted to inject the metal. I'm stumped too Neil. All I know for certain is, I researched that site to death. Had to call it early because of the weather. Will be going back a.s.a.p. though.

People still cast lead balls and shoot them out of black powder guns. I used to do it myself. Not that yours aren't old, but I shot gobs of them into the woods when I was a teenage black powder shooter. Probably dropped a few, too. Those definitely look dropped, but who knows how many decades ago. I would think they'd be white if they were from a NJ battlefield.

Maybe they were cast at a reenactment?

Flat spots are left over after the sprue (mold entrance when poured) is cut. Lead usually oxidizes white but depends on the soil.

Yep I pull enfields and three ringers with no white patina all from the river. I dig the fields by the river and they are heavily with patina. Some rocky areas turn them black. They look like drops for sure.Go back and see what else you find.Thanks for showing them here.
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back