Cool Old Bayonet (I think), Need ID Help......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a funeral for most of the day and didn't get a chance to hunt much. I did hit a school for a little while before dark and dug a bunch of clad, but nothing too remarkable.
However, I did get something really cool and I must say it was a very pleasant surprise.............

This is not a "found" item but I actually received it today as a gift.

I have a dear friend and she and her kids have been in Israel for the last few weeks. I've been giving her son guitar lessons for a few months and they brought this back from Israel for me. I won't take her money but they know how I just LOVE cool old stuff and how I would never refuse something old and cool; especially a weapon.

It was purchased at some type of street shop for 75 shekels. The lady who sold it said it was a WWI era item. That's all I know about it.
I have no clue if it's Ottoman or what. I'm hoping that someone here may be able to identify exactly what it is.

Here's one overall shot:

Awesome Old Bayonet Gift July 11 2105 001.JPG

Here's the handle. I believe it's made of bronze. The wire is just on there because it was used to hang it in the shop. I just haven't taken it off yet:

Awesome Old Bayonet Gift July 11 2105 002.JPG

And here's a shot of the badly worn engraving on the blade:

Awesome Old Bayonet Gift July 11 2105 003.JPG

I looked online and haven't found anything quite like it.

It may be ceremonial. The blade itself is blunt and doesn't appear to ever have been sharpened.

I really do love this thing. Any help on the ID would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool blade and I love that handle. Wish I could help but I will Congrats on the gift.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is definitely one cool gift. Congrats!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more sword like than a bayonet....

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I'd go with sword too as I don't see any bayonet mount on it. Interesting piece.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bayonet IMO either...
Sword...
From Middle East.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Tulwar type sword from India. I have one similar in the original wood sheath wrapped in animal skin. Blade is spring metal, flexible more so than hardened steel. Very nice wall hangers but not worth a whole lot. These were from way back but there are more modern ones that look old too. About all you can go by is the honest wear on it as most had no makers marks.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was not able to post a link earlier but here is some background info. There were many variants and yours is somewhat different but you can search images and find similar animal head pommels.Here is a pic of mine for reference as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talwar
DSC00033.JPG

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up Tulwar type sword from India. I have one similar in the original wood sheath wrapped in animal skin. Blade is spring metal, flexible more so than hardened steel. Very nice wall hangers but not worth a whole lot. These were from way back but there are more modern ones that look old too. About all you can go by is the honest wear on it as most had no makers marks.

I think that's it.

Mine looks to be missing the end piece compared to the pictures I've seen so far. There's a nut and stud where it looks like it would connect.

It's flexible but not too flexible, no visible makers marks and it's definitely worn. As mentioned above, the engraving isn't too visible anymore.
I know I would not want to go into battle armed only with this weapon. I doubt I would be alive for long.

The reason I thought maybe an ornamental type bayonet was because it looks like the mouth on that animal head may have snapped into something.

I looked on Ebay and a few other sites and these things are actually pretty pricey. I didn't think anyone would pay so much for one of these. Maybe the market is up right now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could have had an attachment from the mouth of the head, I have seen examples like that, but I don't see where it would have attached to the guard. It could just be a crudely done opened mouth. Just a note on ebay comparisons, If you find "sold for" examples it may indicate a value, at least the value that the buyer felt reasonable. Often though, the asking prices mean little unless there are sales that back it up. Nice sword though, I really like the look of these weapons, whether used for such or purely ornamental.
194c26688dbd06822c0d5f730696ccc8.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread