Cool Old Button with Shield & Latin/ID Please?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Attachments

• button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 880
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 470
  • button3.jpg
    button3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0
Re: Cool Old Button with Shield & Latin/ID Please?

Very cool button. :o I wish I could help a little with the ID but alas....I am clueless. :tongue3:

I don't have a clue on the button,but I like it SWEET!!!

fortbball9

British General service, very common but still a dug military find.

Here are similar ones being sold on the Hong Kong Ebay site: http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130241933700&ih=003&category=41195

"Dieu et mon droit", the words on the shield, have generally been used as the motto of English, and later British, monarchs since being adopted by Henry V (1413–1422). The motto appears in French and translates into English as "God and my right". (A fuller version of the motto is also quoted as "God and my right shall me defend".)

For the Royal coat of arms of the Kingdom of England to have a French rather than English motto should not be considered unusual, given that English had only recently replaced French as the language of the English Royal Court and ruling class.

"Dieu et mon droit" was allegedly first used as a password by King Richard I in 1198 at the Battle of Gisors, when he defeated the forces of Philip II of France. This implies that Richard owed his royalty to no power other than God and his own heredity, and was therefore subject to no earthly power nor other monarch.
Don.....
Source: Wikipedia

Definitely British military

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" which appears around the centre is also French, loosely translated it means "evil be to he who evil thinks" it is the legend that appears on the "Order of the Garter"

Iron Patch said:

Its a poor copy of a General Service Army Button. The construction is wrong & the detail a little crude. The real ones would not pre-date WWI. Therefore this copy is later than that & maybe a blazer button??

It may not be authentic, but it's still very cool. :thumbsup:

Very cool. Thanks for everyone's comments. Bergie

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

Its a poor copy of a General Service Army Button. The construction is wrong & the detail a little crude. The real ones would not pre-date WWI. Therefore this copy is later than that & maybe a blazer button??

I found the back interesting too. If it's mot military issue I can't really think of a good reason it's made like that considering it's such a common button. I wouldn't think a civilian blazer button would be made exactly the same way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back