Coppa at the "Coronet Field"

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Coppa at the "Coronet Field"

What's up, fellow metal detecting enthusiasts zoysters? Well, let's get to the metal detecting story.

On the day after wednesday of last week, I was skunked...and I mean skunked.

Well, we headed back to the Coronet field on the day after Friday of last week! This day turned out to be great for me, considering that I recovered an 1826 Coronet cent at a depth of 3 inches. This beauty read at the "R" on "Quarter" on my 90s-style relic machine. After recovering this babe, I instantly yelled, "LARGE CENT. LARGE CENT. LARGE CENT," while running around like a hyper-active kid who forgot to take his ridalin.

Well, to make another long metal detecting story relatively short in a metal detecting time limit on a metal detecting site with metal detectorists reading this metal detecting thread, we welcomed another great member into our club: vpone. Vpone, welcome to the club and we are looking forward to many great recoveries with you in the near future for "Bone Dry Detecting."

In 4 metal detecting trips, we have recovered 13 Coronet cents, 1 Draped Bust cent, 1 ancient Colonial, and an 1835 Capped Bust half dime. Folks, that is what I am talking about! Mr. Walter would be proud.

zoyster

*My coin was found on extreme private property with the total consent of the two sweet landowners.
CoronetField007.jpg

CoronetField012.jpg

Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Coppa at the "Coronet Field"

Great day, zoy! You always find the good coins! You don't find that stuff that corrodes in the ground. :P :D

KirkPA is proud of you. :-*

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Very sweet coin! Keep em coming!!

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Good looking coin. I like it!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Zoy that is a really great find > One question > does vpone speak the same dialect that you cool awlsome duders do ::)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Zoy! Another fantastic find.
Are these fields you guys hunt freshly plowed fields, or do you have to maneuver around what's being grown?
I'm going back up to Indiana later this week, and want to give field MDing a try. There is one particular corn field I know of in a very tiny town from the early 1800's. It is right next to the RR tracks and 1800's post office.
Any tips from you guys would be great.
Thanks & congrats,
MM

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey, Zoy. Major congrats on your Coronet!! Without you and your bro's writeups and finds, this site would be a lot less interesting!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice one Zoy. It almost looks like an 1820 in the picture. Dang it, now I'm 2 1/2 coppas behind you this year. Maybe I'll catch up this weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Tell Vpone he's got a big pair of shoes to fill if he wants to detect with the Bone Dry datectin boyz!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Congrats on another Large Cent, you guys are getting one heck of a collection!! Sweet!!!

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

ModernMiner said:
Are these fields you guys hunt freshly plowed fields, or do you have to maneuver around what's being grown?
I'm going back up to Indiana later this week, and want to give field MDing a try. There is one particular corn field I know of in a very tiny town from the early 1800's. It is right next to the RR tracks and 1800's post office.
Thanks & congrats,
MM

MM, the productive area of the field is about the size of a basketball court, as stated by PACO. Well, if I had any advice to give, I would tell you to go slow and listen for those faint, iffy signals. Mr. Walter would agree with my advice, considering that he would swing in the local fields for many months and only recover about 3 coins a year; these coins were usually Spanish silver or really old coppers. Also, look for pottery shards and listen for the nulling of the threshold, which could signify that there are large amounts of iron below the surface.

zoyster a.k.a. KylePA :D

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Evolution said:
Nice one Zoy. It almost looks like an 1820 in the picture. Dang it, now I'm 2 1/2 coppas behind you this year. Maybe I'll catch up this weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Tell Vpone he's got a big pair of shoes to fill if he wants to detect with the Bone Dry datectin boyz!

Thanks, evolution, for the reply, bud!

Vpone found some great coins this year, including an 1834 Capped Bust dime in XF condition, a Two-Cent piece, etc. He also does great research, so he will add some more life to our club and help with finding those future research spots.

Future research spots for "Bone Dry Detecting:" 1800-1850 wayside inn, 1807-1838 stage stop, and other defunct dwellings.

zoyster

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Rich in Central PA said:
WTG Zoy, you are sure makin' yer Shamokin ancestas proud...........The Richster

Thanks, Richster, for the sweet Shamokin words, bud! We definitely make our Williamsport ancestas proud of our super ancient coinage and semi-ancient relics. :D

zoyster

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Captn_SE said:
Hey, Zoy. Major congrats on your Coronet!! Without you and your bro's writeups and finds, this site would be a lot less interesting!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks, bud, for the reply! You had a great stay in Iowa, recovering some great Barbers and crazy Injuns.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great looking coin, Congrats!!!
Sounds like you all are really pounding the dirt,,, some great finds in there...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zoyboy said:
Evolution said:

Thanks, evolution, for the reply, bud!

Vpone found some great coins this year, including an 1834 Capped Bust dime in XF condition, a Two-Cent piece, etc. He also does great research, so he will add some more life to our club and help with finding those future research spots.

Future research spots for "Bone Dry Detecting:" 1800-1850 wayside inn, 1807-1838 stage stop, and other defunct dwellings.

zoyster
Nice! With you and him doing superb research, you guys should hit the mother load sometime soon. I wish you the best of luck.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

zoyboy said:
ModernMiner said:
Thanks & congrats,
MM

MM, the productive area of the field is about the size of a basketball court, as stated by PACO. Well, if I had any advice to give, I would tell you to go slow and listen for those faint, iffy signals. Mr. Walter would agree with my advice, considering that he would swing in the local fields for many months and only recover about 3 coins a year; these coins were usually Spanish silver or really old coppers. Also, look for pottery shards and listen for the nulling of the threshold, which could signify that there are large amounts of iron below the surface.

Thanks Kyle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread