#1 is going for .97-$1.10 a lb
Cans .34-.39
Brass .22-.35
AL/CU rads... .41
Stainless..... .9-.13
cast alum.15-.30
CatCons....$5.00-$50.00 a piece
Batteries-----$3.00 " "

Prices are terrible, I am hoarding all the non-ferrous I have Based on LATE summer prices <during the fall in prices> I figure I have around $15,000 in non-ferrous

Hoff out

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Prices are still horrible up here in Ontario Canada, pretty well the same up here as down there in the US, tin is a joke and so is the non-ferrous although extrusion has come up a bit to just over 54 cents a lb.

#2 insulated wire here is at .40cents/lb :o

I can't hoarde the tin, got no choice but to dump it, but I'm like the rest of you, the non ferrous will be hoarded for as long as I can. In the past prices went up during the winter but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen this year.

Just today a major auto manufacturer just announced 2 plant closures and 850 ppl out of work!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in N. California, the price for aluminum cans varies a bit but is running around $1.65 lb. Of course we pay a extra California Redemption Value (CRV) when we buy a can of beer or soda.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I cashed cans in, I got .60 cents / lb. That was a few months ago though, and I'm afraid to find out what they're paying now, so I'm just piling them up. Happy scrappin everyone!

YoungGunTHer

Apr 28, 2008
Portsmouth NH
Detector(s) used
MXT
You guys are lucky, when copper was at its peak here in NH it was $2.85 now its $0.80, getting .25 for cans now. :'( Saving up!

Happy Hoarding!
Young Gun

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I ask where you sell you stuff in Kansas? Just wondered if your in the Wichita area

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
jhoff310 said:
here in Ohio
#1 is going for .97-$1.10 a lb
Cans .34-.39
Brass .22-.35
AL/CU rads... .41
Stainless..... .9-.13
cast alum.15-.30
CatCons....$5.00-$50.00 a piece
Batteries-----$3.00 " "

Prices are terrible, I am hoarding all the non-ferrous I have Based on LATE summer prices <during the fall in prices> I figure I have around $15,000 in non-ferrous

Hoff out

Well at least you don't have $40.000.00 worth of scrap steel sitting in your driveway like I do! Yes, the wife don't like it either! >:(

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
Well at least you don't have $40.000.00 worth of scrap steel sitting in your driveway like I do! Yes, the wife don't like it either! >:(
[/quote]

I have a ton of scrap in my driveway also, but no wife to get on me about it. I loaded the truck up yesterday and I'm going to see what I can get for a pickup load at the scrapyard. My stash is really building up.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Good luck MV.
Tell us how you made out.
Hope it wasn't a long drive to the scrapper!
rmptr

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I am happy copper went way down, now maybe I can leave the house and travel some, and still have my plumbing when I return.......NGE

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
rmptr said:
Good luck MV.
Tell us how you made out.
Hope it wasn't a long drive to the scrapper!
rmptr

I haven't made it to the scrap yard yet. Probably the weekend after Christmas.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
rmptr said:
MV,

Gosh I hope you call first, before loading the truck!
rmptr

My truck is small. I got $56.00 for my scrap. I don't consider it too bad since all the metal was free and delivered to me.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alcoa just announced it was laying off 15,000 employees and freezing wages and benefits for the remaining. I guess we'll be up to our ears in extrusion and cans soon.

BTW, did you know that Anheiser-Busch was the largest consumer of our recycled cans? Well, AmBev, the foreign country that bought them laid off the brewery staff here in Tampa and decided to quit handing out the 2 8 oz samples at Busch Gardens/SeaWorld and whatever other theme parks A/B owned prior to the sale.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
Does anyone have any idea when prices will go up. I am in the commercial roofing business. Almost every project has a couple old obsolete units that are removed as part of the project. Every so often we'll do a job with copper gutters and metal edging. If I can keep the crew and random rooftop visitors from stealing it, it makes it back to my shop. I had been taking in nice loads and getting around 3k a pop. Now that prices have fallen so much, I am just going to stockpile it and hope that it gets back up close to $3. August was my last load and I sold cleaned coils for $1.35 a pound. Then I cashed in the neatly folded metal edging and gutters and they paid around $3.10 a pound (they call it light copper). At that time #1 was at $3.40 and #2 was $3.30. Now those same coils would sell for around $.45 a pound, #1 copper at $1.05, and #2 copper $.85. I am not going to sell at those prices but my stockpile is getting crazy. If it takes a year for teh prices to increase, I may end up with 20K worth of the junk.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Wow!

That's great TexasD!

But for now, ...no orders, no factory production, no need for scrap or mineral production.
Could be quite a long while before the market returns.

Anyone wanna make side bets?
Ha!
(I'm joking.)

Best
rmptr

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I agree with last post. It will never go up to 2008 peak prices again, just keep on going down.
Sell as u get it in. I'm investing my scrap profits in things that will go up like gold and canned food.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Look, my crystal ball is really whacked... and I'll admit it.
I couldn't make a correct market call on a bet!

Never-the-less, Google News shows Dow and other brokerages way down, construction still falling,
many, many layoffs continuing, and even Rio Tinto and the other big boys are cutting back their work forces.
And I heard something about miner's strikes or rioting in Ecuador...

Of course factory orders are down, no one has money or credit to buy.

I think we'll get to a point where no one can finance a war machine!

Anyway, if the mines are shut down, when orders for raw material DO come in there will be a lag
from the time they can deliver. Whenever that may be!

THAT is the time scrap will come back to it's own.

Speculation I've read about has fantasized there may be growth in localized production at some time on down the road. Local scrap of good quality would be of significant value at that time.

Back to the same inevitable problem...
How well are you set up to sit on your hoard for an extended period of time?

I would definitely think it wise to hi-grade and consolidate, to some extent as PI declared.

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread