Copper results / percentage

BradA

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious what percentage of pennies that you all go through are copper. I'm in Phoenix and in buying boxes at a few banks around town I'm getting 14-18% pretty consistently. I've only been through about 6 boxes but the results have been pretty consistent. One box had already been searched but otherwise I've been pretty happy.

I'd appreciate hearing where you're from and what percentage of copper you're finding.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Weird, to be honest its a rarity for me to find new pennies in my change. I would say 30%+ of my pennies are copper.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
BradA said:
I'm curious what percentage of pennies that you all go through are copper. I'm in Phoenix and in buying boxes at a few banks around town I'm getting 14-18% pretty consistently. I've only been through about 6 boxes but the results have been pretty consistent. One box had already been searched but otherwise I've been pretty happy.

I'd appreciate hearing where you're from and what percentage of copper you're finding.

Thanks

Based on my current spreadsheet I am at 17.865% copper per search...and just over .635% wheaties (both per $25 searched)

This is including the 4 boxes I recently got of 2012 cents that dropped my averages!!!!

OP
OP
B

BradA

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I started tearing through rolls I had guessed that the percentage was at least 30% copper and so have been a bit surprised to see it so low. I think I'm at about 15.5% overall. And I've bought from four different banks, totalling 6 locations. So it seems like should be getting a pretty representative sample.

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Im from Minnesota amd currently not home to give an EXACT percentage but I do mine is 20. Something. Averaging around a little over 500 per box

OP
OP
B

BradA

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkie that's interesting. You've got the lowest %age given so far. My dad lives in northern Arkansas and swears he rarely sees copper but I thought he just wasn't really paying attention. But with what you're saying, maybe he's right.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get pretty high, maybe 20-30%. I don't keep track but seems like I get between 12 and 18 in every roll, so that'd be 24-36%

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkie that's interesting. You've got the lowest %age given so far. My dad lives in northern Arkansas and swears he rarely sees copper but I thought he just wasn't really paying attention. But with what you're saying, maybe he's right.

He's probably right. All boxes here are terrible for some reason. I average as I said 11-12% copper and about 3 wheats per box of cents. My all-time best box only had 8 wheaties and maybe 20% copper. Iverage less than 1 silver dime per every 4 boxes. I average about 2 war nickels per 3 boxes, and have never pulled a single buffalo or V. My half boxes average about 1 40% per 2 boxes. Dunno why the boxes are so bad around here. I've been to nearly every bank within 150 miles of my house and have only ran into 1 other CRHer on one single occasion. I have no explanation. Somebody has to get the worst boxes I guess. :dontknow:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Wisconsin and average around 25% but have not done any cents for the last few months because I was busy developing my sorter and securing a storage strategy for my copper. They key with cents is volume. And if you are in the Phoenix area you are in the zone of jrf30. He is a member on here that does mass amounts of cents, so its good to see that you are turning good numbers with that big of a fish in your zone.

PJA030257

Mar 10, 2008

Thanks

This analysis is pretty close. About 18%

http://www.mhrsdetecting.com/Image ...Research Lincoln Memorial Cent Population.pdf

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks

Out of a $25 box I get roughly $6.50 face of copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread