Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted two days in a row now. Thank God I have a forgiving wife. :tongue3: I did race home early and wash her car for her though, being the thoughtful husband that I am. O.K. enough B.S.

I spotted this turn of the century house about a week ago, asked permission, and received a "yes".
It is in the middle of a small downtown area. Once again, NO SILVER! :tongue3: This time I know why though. Fifteen minutes into my hunt, and old man from across the street came over to bend my ear. He said he has "hit the yard hard" a few times about a year ago with his Radio Shack detector. He said as far as silver he had only found a few Merc's, a quarter, and a nice medal of honor in the front yard.
After about 30 minutes of chewing the fat, I was back at it. I ended up digging a lot of deep wheats (6-8"). I actually dug more wheats than Memorials. Eleven wheats in all. Surprisingly, I only dug about 5 pull tabs too, but a lot of these octagon shaped thingys with a hook on the back of them. They were all over the place close to the house, so I'm thinking they are roof related? :icon_scratch: Any ideas?
I did get one up on the old guy though. He had told me in all his years of detecting he had never dug an IH penny or an LC. Well, I got a nice 1907 IH by the edge of the driveway. :thumbsup: It cleaned up nice, and has great detail.
The two rings look to be copper too. :icon_scratch: No stamping on either one, but I can see the smaller one had been sized before.

Now for the $100 nickel..........
I got home, cleaned my finds, and discovered that the only nickel I had dug today was a 1943 "P" silver war nickel. So I consult the 2008 Red Book and see that it shows a value of $100.00 for a VF-20 condition. :o :o :o So of course, I about soiled myself. Then I noticed that the next best grade EF-4- is only worth $1.25. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Hmmmm, can you say misprint? ;D
So I went from a $100 nickel to a $1.00 nickel very quickly. :-\

The wheats are: 1918 (x2) , 1935 (x2) , 1937 , 1940 (x2) , 1941 , 1946 , 1951 , 1952.

Not a great day for finds, but it was 70 and sunny today with a nice breeze. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :icon_sunny:
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-050S.JPG
    MVC-050S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,624
  • MVC-051S.JPG
    MVC-051S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,633
  • MVC-052S.JPG
    MVC-052S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,621
  • MVC-053S.JPG
    MVC-053S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-054S.JPG
    MVC-054S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,627
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. I have a 1943 P nickle I found. I wish it was worth $100.00. Maybe in about 100 years. ;D
Dman

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Nice finds. I have a 1943 P nickle I found. I wish it was worth $100.00. Maybe in about 100 years. ;D
Dman

Maybe I could sell it "cheap" on E-bay for only $75 if I post a picture of the "$100" in the Red Book? :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
-Doug-

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww man. Mine is BU. I know I'll sand it down to VF. ;D

Nice finds by the way. :thumbsup:

S

seger98

Well Doug, if you tell your metal detecting stories the way you tell your fishing stories, it can still be a $100.00 nickel! :tongue3:

Just kidding.... Nice finds you had today!

Chris

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Dman said:
Dman

Maybe I could sell it "cheap" on E-bay for only $75 if I post a picture of the "$100" in the Red Book? :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
-Doug-

Now you're talkin' Ha.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bridge End Farm said:
some great finds you dug

awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks BEF. :thumbsup:

DigginThePast said:
Aww man. Mine is BU. I know I'll sand it down to VF. ;D

Nice finds by the way. :thumbsup:

Now THAT was funny. :sign10: Good one Diggin. :thumbsup:

seger98 said:
Well Doug, if you tell your metal detecting stories the way you tell your fishing stories, it can still be a $100.00 nickel! :tongue3:

Just kidding.... Nice finds you had today!

Chris

Thanks Chris.
Did I ever tell you about the 50lb Walleye I caught using a 25lb Musky for bait? :tongue3:
Atlantian said:
How do you determine the grade it gets ???? Great finds

There is some grading info in the Red Book with each coin and what details to look for.
-MM-

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I am confused what year readbook are you using?? ??? My 2007 Red Book Say's a 1943P is .90 (ninety cents). :icon_scratch: Also my Feb 2009 Copy of Coin World Magizine says it is worth $1.50 in VF-20. The only one I see near that price is a 1943 over 1942. I think your book has a typo... :icon_scratch: I have no idea.... ???

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hey,

I am confused what year readbook are you using?? ??? My 2007 Red Book Say's a 1943P is .90 (ninety cents). :icon_scratch: Also my Feb 2009 Copy of Coin World Magizine says it is worth $1.50 in VF-20. The only one I see near that price is a 1943 over 1942. I think your book has a typo... :icon_scratch: I have no idea.... ???

Keep @ it and HH!!

My Red Book is the 2008 edition. I know it's a typo. That's why it was so funny. ;D
-Doug-

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for typo`s ///// Nice IH :thumbsup:
I`m still waiting for one.

Bill

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Pappagiorgio said:
Lish ~

Sincerely ~ If it was not for you dude I would be goin bonkers ...

STELLAR FINDS MY FRIEND ...

Rock on With you Bad A$$ North Carolina Self ...

~ Nick ~

Thanks Nick.
I almost sent you a picture tonight. My wife the Italian, made pasta and homemade meat sauce (Italian sausage & chuck roast). Yummy! :thumbsup:
-Lish-

TEXAN Connection said:
Thats funny MM how many would you like to buy

Thanks TC.
What a shocker that was. I wonder if my misprinted 2008 Red Book will be worth anything? :tongue3:
-MM-

kdismuke1 said:
NICE COLLECTION OF FINDS. CONGRATS.

Thanks KD. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Looks like you had an awesome time! Thats funny that they mis-printed the Red book! :) I love the Indian head penny! Keep on hunting and posting :)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I've found a lot of those copper things with hooks too. It puzzled me for a long time, and figured it had to do with roofing as well. I finally found out they were special fasteners used to hold slate shingles on the roof.

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told those funny looking hook things were used on older homes slate roofs. I found a bunch of them around an older home and can
tell you my detector loved them. Nice finds.

HH, Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread