Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted two days in a row now. Thank God I have a forgiving wife. :tongue3: I did race home early and wash her car for her though, being the thoughtful husband that I am. O.K. enough B.S.

I spotted this turn of the century house about a week ago, asked permission, and received a "yes".
It is in the middle of a small downtown area. Once again, NO SILVER! :tongue3: This time I know why though. Fifteen minutes into my hunt, and old man from across the street came over to bend my ear. He said he has "hit the yard hard" a few times about a year ago with his Radio Shack detector. He said as far as silver he had only found a few Merc's, a quarter, and a nice medal of honor in the front yard.
After about 30 minutes of chewing the fat, I was back at it. I ended up digging a lot of deep wheats (6-8"). I actually dug more wheats than Memorials. Eleven wheats in all. Surprisingly, I only dug about 5 pull tabs too, but a lot of these octagon shaped thingys with a hook on the back of them. They were all over the place close to the house, so I'm thinking they are roof related? :icon_scratch: Any ideas?
I did get one up on the old guy though. He had told me in all his years of detecting he had never dug an IH penny or an LC. Well, I got a nice 1907 IH by the edge of the driveway. :thumbsup: It cleaned up nice, and has great detail.
The two rings look to be copper too. :icon_scratch: No stamping on either one, but I can see the smaller one had been sized before.

Now for the $100 nickel..........
I got home, cleaned my finds, and discovered that the only nickel I had dug today was a 1943 "P" silver war nickel. So I consult the 2008 Red Book and see that it shows a value of $100.00 for a VF-20 condition. :o :o :o So of course, I about soiled myself. Then I noticed that the next best grade EF-4- is only worth $1.25. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Hmmmm, can you say misprint? ;D
So I went from a $100 nickel to a $1.00 nickel very quickly. :-\

The wheats are: 1918 (x2) , 1935 (x2) , 1937 , 1940 (x2) , 1941 , 1946 , 1951 , 1952.

Not a great day for finds, but it was 70 and sunny today with a nice breeze. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :icon_sunny:
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-050S.JPG
    MVC-050S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,624
  • MVC-051S.JPG
    MVC-051S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,633
  • MVC-052S.JPG
    MVC-052S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,621
  • MVC-053S.JPG
    MVC-053S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-054S.JPG
    MVC-054S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,627
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
MM, Did you check your nickel to see if the 3 was stamped over the 2?

Yep, I did check for that, but nothing. After finding that double die 1864 IH last week, I'm checking everything. ;D
-MM-

cheese said:
I've found a lot of those copper things with hooks too. It puzzled me for a long time, and figured it had to do with roofing as well. I finally found out they were special fasteners used to hold slate shingles on the roof.
kilmer said:
I was told those funny looking hook things were used on older homes slate roofs. I found a bunch of them around an older home and can
tell you my detector loved them. Nice finds.

HH, Don

Mystery solved. Thanks Cheese and Kilmer. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beetle662 said:
Congrats on the $100.... er uh $1.00 nickel!

That Injun is PURTY!!!

Thanks Beetle.
That injun was tough to get clean. It took a long soaking in vinegar and a lot of Q-tips. ;D I'm very please with the looks of this one.
Not worth much, but it's a beauty.
-MM-

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds once again Doug. I must have about 40 buckles like that. They turn up all over the place at some of the sites I have hunted in the past.

Rob

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
ModernMiner said:
creeper71 said:
MM, Did you check your nickel to see if the 3 was stamped over the 2?

Yep, I did check for that, but nothing. After finding that double die 1864 IH last week, I'm checking everything. ;D
-MM-
Are you sure? I would take closer pics an post them on here for some of the experts to look at... I'm new to this double stamp/overstamp stuff but I think it might be a 3 over 2

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 2008 redbook has the same typo. But I would have never noticed without your post. Too funny.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt MM! We have those dang shingle hooks here as well, every time I dig one I think I found an old hammered coin. HH, Mike

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Congrats!

The rings might be Depression Era wedding rings. I found one and had no clue about it until my mom said that during the Depression folks bought plain copper rings for wedding bands. After times got better they replaced them with gold rings typically.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems ike you did alright for the day. Wtg.....Matt

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eagle77 said:
Congrats!

The rings might be Depression Era wedding rings. I found one and had no clue about it until my mom said that during the Depression folks bought plain copper rings for wedding bands. After times got better they replaced them with gold rings typically.

Eagle,
That's some great info. Thanks & tell your Mom thanks too. I think I found both a mens and ladies rings.
-MM-
DD-777 said:
"Lord of the Wheats"... ;D

Too bad about the typo - I've got a bunch of 'dem $100 dollar nickels in my collection... :tongue3:

Great digs as always brother... :thumbsup:

Thanks Big Guy. :thumbsup:
-MM-

X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
MM that is a ERROR in your book, it was suppose to be [size=24pt]$1.00
[size=14pt]and not
$100.00

Dave

I know that. ;D Thanks Dave.
-MM-

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
I'll take a day like that anytime. Not to mention the weather :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm.... Wonder how much that red book is worth with that print error? :o ;D

Super hunt, MM! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Dman said:
Nice finds. I have a 1943 P nickle I found. I wish it was worth $100.00. Maybe in about 100 years. ;D
Dman

Maybe I could sell it "cheap" on E-bay for only $75 if I post a picture of the "$100" in the Red Book? :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
-Doug-
:thumbsup: ;D :D :wink: Nice find regardless. Those war nickels are cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread