copper vs. silver

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been brought up numerous times and everyone has their own opinions on it but I just wanted to get some second opinions on my plan. Right now my bank roll is about 1000 bucks. I've been doing mainly dimes and now that school is over I'm going to order halves from as many banks as I can. Right now I have one solid box of copper and am working on a second. I probably won't keep more than 50 bucks worth just because I don't want to tie all my money with copper. I was thinking about trying to find some people who are willing to buy copper and try to sell boxes for 25 dollars profit, enough for me to use to keep another copper. So a box of copper sold is a box of copper I can afford to keep. Any thoughts? Is 50 bucks too much to ask for a box of copper?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greatwhitetailhorns said:
What about when your done do u take them back to the same place

Its better that you don't otherwise they will quickly become tired of giving you coin just to receive it back. The best thing to do is to find a branch with a coin machine you can take advantage of

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is I mark the rolls I have searched and then trade them for new ones so if I see a roll with my marker on it I know it's all cleaned out:). Or you could have another bank to use as a " dump" bank to dump all your searched rolls of at. Hope this helps :)

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm lucky if I get 5 wheats per box. I've also been on the hunt for 30 years so I've accumulated quite a few.

Exactly, here in Ontario, I'm happy to find 5 wheats per box. Taking in account that some of the wheaties slipped through the border and is here makes me happy.
I also tend to find solid US penny rolls, which contain 2 wheats per roll on average.
Any reason for S mint wheats carrying a premium?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Exactly, here in Ontario, I'm happy to find 5 wheats per box. Taking in account that some of the wheaties slipped through the border and is here makes me happy.
I also tend to find solid US penny rolls, which contain 2 wheats per roll on average.
Any reason for S mint wheats carrying a premium?

Typically, they have the smallest mintage compared to Philly and Denver. Even though they are still considered common date, people can't resist the allure/nostalgia of San Fran minted coins in general. In the CRH'ing craze of the 50's, collectors are reminded that the S mints were usually the most difficult to find compared to their counterparts.

The Mint has finally recognized this by minting the ATB quarters with a business strike from San Fran beginning later this year. They will only be available to collectors.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't use coin stars they take a percentage of your money and it wouldn't be worth it :(

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you use one of the gift card options from their advertising sponsors like itunes or home depot etc if you plan on making a purchase and need to get rid of some coins.

I would still always put it on CC instead though since I like to get the rewards points for free flights!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
Unless you use one of the gift card options from their advertising sponsors like itunes or home depot etc if you plan on making a purchase and need to get rid of some coins.

I would still always put it on CC instead though since I like to get the rewards points for free flights!

Are they still doing the gift cards? I work in a stop and shop and a couple weeks ago they put a sign on the machine which said that the machine could no longer dispense the gift cards, I wasn't sure if it was just our store or all coinstars

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Are they still doing the gift cards? I work in a stop and shop and a couple weeks ago they put a sign on the machine which said that the machine could no longer dispense the gift cards, I wasn't sure if it was just our store or all coinstars

They are around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread