Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand your opinion of the city rules and regulations. I to, know that MOST cops, think that wearing a gun and a badge gives them the AUTHORITY to do as they please and say what they want regardless of what the LAW ACTUALLY IS! If it was me, I would get whatever city statute is on the detecting part in the parks etc. Then I would keep a copy with me. Get written permission from city official, etc. I would PURPOSELY go back, detect my little hearts desire, let the little B!&CH come back to me to try and run me off, let her call the police, let the police come, police tells you to leave, refuse in a POLITEFUL MANNER, let them arrest me, hire an attorney, sue the woman and sue the police for harassment, either way you would win a substantial amount of money to buy you 20 top grade detectors. The city would evidently know they would be losing a legal battle and would settle out of court. The judge would definitely have a talk with the police chief, the woman would most likely lose her job if this has been a continued case with her harassing of LAW ABIDING CITIZEN. Most police on the beat DO NOT know ALL the LAWS. All they have to do is call in to dispatch to VERIFY the statute, but when they don't you CAN HAVE A LEGAL SUIT.

I have talked with police officers about my business installing LED Accent Lighting on motorcycles and I research what the laws are in what states I attend their motorcycle rallies. Some say it is illegal until I show them a print out of the states statutes. They take a copy and most of them don't even know what the law is until THEY get educated. Most of them don't even like paperwork, also too darn lazy to check out the ACTUAL STATUTE! So, I say get your ducks in a row, detect, and next time, let them harass you and arrest you for being polite, then you got $$$ coming to you eventually. As far as attorney's fees go, you may have to get bonded out of jail, but if you got a good case, most attorney's will work on a contingency of what you get from the city and state for wrongful arrest settlement.Just make sure that if you do get arrested, have someone there who can drive your car back home, also it would be good if you had a witness who would see everything happen!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading TheHarleyMan2's reply, I think he is under the impression that MOST cops can't read, write, or chew gum at the same time. I'm sure he is very versed in what the cops do in there spare time. When I was much younger and felt like I needed to SHOW my authority, I would read allllll the obscure little ordinances that not many people would even think about. You would be surprised how the LAWYER types didn't know the laws that they could be arrested. Well, my friends....get the written permission since you have already stirred the pot. Don't let these "dumb" lazy cops that don't like paperwork find that one little thing that would land you where you don't wanna land. Then, instead of you owning many new detectors, you might end losing the one you have. HH all and I wish you the best.

P

pickaway

If she is the Director of parks for your area you might be hit,thats more n likely why the cops told ya to leave her job title, find out the hours she works and detect it then.Or get written proof of a higher up person.Sounds like a fkd up mess good luck...

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
After reading TheHarleyMan2's reply, I think he is under the impression that MOST cops can't read, write, or chew gum at the same time. I'm sure he is very versed in what the cops do in there spare time. When I was much younger and felt like I needed to SHOW my authority, I would read allllll the obscure little ordinances that not many people would even think about. You would be surprised how the LAWYER types didn't know the laws that they could be arrested. Well, my friends....get the written permission since you have already stirred the pot. Don't let these "dumb" lazy cops that don't like paperwork find that one little thing that would land you where you don't wanna land. Then, instead of you owning many new detectors, you might end losing the one you have. HH all and I wish you the best.

I don't think I mentioned that cops can't read, write or chew gum at the same time? I never said I was VERY VERSED in what police do in their spare time, get your facts straight. Anyone could be arrested for anything, just some of it is so minor, the few COPS, not police, who use their authority just to make a point. Yes, there are lawyers as well as SOME POLICE, who don't know much about ALL LAWS. If YOU ARE or WERE a police officer at one time and you came across someone at a city park that had no law against metal detecting, and you were called by a city worker at the park who didn't like the idea of someone metal detecting, would you make the person leave, or better yet, do you think you could stand up in court in front of a JUDGE after you arrested the person for breaking NO LAW just for the fact that the person was nice, and INFORMED YOU about previously talking to city and park officials and getting permission about detecting in a park that has NO LAW against it?

Many of us who have contacted city and park officials call research what the laws are, get permission, etc. I know from MY EXPERIENCE it is hard to get something in writing from the city or park officials due to the fact that the person in charge is either NOT there or has previous arrangements with meetings, etc.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would calmly file a harassment claim. It never ceases to amaze me that as long as everyone is in line by their drinking, carousing, partying and trashing places up, everything is cool. But, us MDing hobbyists have to live in fear of harassment from the law. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend I'm trying to convince to get into MDing who is a cop. To his knowledge, there are NO anti-metal detecting laws.

There is no justification for harassing us. If it's the digging part, nothing dies. No grass, nothing. Grass is VERY resilient. Look at the horrific winters it survives to come back in the spring.

Situations like this is how we LEARN to NOT like police. Abuse of authority. We could actually be HELPFUL to these people but these knee jerk power hungry reactions are VERY distressing. Especially when we all love what we do and feel threatened that our happiness is at stake.

Here's what I do - I try to always carry some junk around with me. Even though we shouldn't have to worry about 'presenting our case'. If I am approached, I explain (in addition to my precise surgical plug digging and hole refilling) that I am also helping keep the place clean.

I was on land that appeared to be abandoned and sure enough, the owner showed up ready to fight. I kept my cool, smiled and showed him the jagged piece of copper tubing that was sticking up from the surface of his grass. The 'CHILDREN' (oh my, WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN) might have cut their little footsies on it. Make a long story short, by the end of the conversation, he was inviting me to stay.

I've experimented with plugs. Even if the grass from a plug turns brown, it springs back after the next light rainfall. Nothing dies, nobody gets hurt and we have fun. But fun, joy and contentment in a hobby is not tolerable.

I swear people just like to affect others lives and try to make them miserable. I am truly starting to dislike the 'free' country I live in. It is oppressive. But, again I can say that the idiots who leave the litter behind that we dig out of the ground, nobody is there to challenge them. Ever.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I can understand your opinion of the city rules and regulations. I to, know that MOST cops, think that wearing a gun and a badge gives them the AUTHORITY to do as they please" This is in your second post...I'm trying to get what you are saying...seems like you forgot the first one "the few COPS" Seems to go from Most to a few..at least it is getting better. Oh, yes I was a Police Officer and yes, I am still a Police Officer and if I was called to a park by a park employee, I would find out from the person making the complaint if it was ACTUALLY against the law or if some law was being violated. If it wasn't, I would be on my merry way ......looking for the nearest donut shop.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I agree with you on going "whole hog!", Ryan.

And, I agree on the term, "Pig!" I was married to a cop and I can't tell you the number of times, those bastar/s would sit around the table getting their court lies/stories straight to back each other up! It made me physically sick!!!

I declare most cops "Pure Pigs!"

Although I do agree with HarleyMan2, I also suggest getting something in writing first. City officials can and do lie and verbal permission is not proof! Unfortunate, but true.

Good luck all the way!

Cavers5

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
Oh, yes I was a Police Officer and yes, I am still a Police Officer and if I was called to a park by a park employee, I would find out from the person making the complaint if it was ACTUALLY against the law or if some law was being violated.

which is exactly the point. You are the kind of officer that is a pleasure to deal with, one that will go and actually see what the problem is or if there is even a crime being committed.
Unfortunately, many will not do that. A lot of them will go right into authoritarian mode, start barking orders and threaten to arrest people. Those are the ones that give the public a lousy impression of the Police.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I got a contract from the county attorneys once... and just carried it with me. It took a bit of time, but it was simple and civil, was cleared through the county board, and was joined to a map THEY gave me allowing detecting in a certain area.

Maybe that can work for you...

Oh yea... and thanks for starting another "I hate cops" topic... you hate us when we ARE there... you hate us when we're NOT there... I am offended, but have learned to live with it.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hate cops by any means. I hate the nosey nanny ones that abuse authority. Also, if it was up to me we wouldn't need 'em because they really never seem to be around when you really do anyway. If we were allowed to exercise our second amendment rights, we (for the most part) could take care of ourselves. But, the nice nice politicians have taken that away too. I reckon metal detecting will soon follow.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
LIVE,LOVE,LAUGH! enjoy your hobby. don't get stressed. there are millions of sites to hunt. parks are crap for the most part.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Everyone dislikes the police till they need help! Of course getting a traffic ticket or committing a crime and getting arrested is not fun. But most dealings with the police are not because you are being given an award! I think in this case the officers never said that Ryaan could not detect...they just said to get the paperwork to avoid arguing with this nut case.

Maybe others detect there...which it sounds like there are....and just maybe someone left a mess! Maybe a simple call to her supervisor and a business card from him with a note would solve the problem. We have gone way off track here...it is the woman denying access to a park that it sounds like Ryaan should be allowed to hunt in.... not the police.

Ryaan good luck with this, I get the dirty looks once in a while and the "found any gold", sarcastic comments. But I am lucky...I have tons of places to hunt...mostly not very old, but at least I can get out. I too would be unset with this lady.... Lets face it...when we are out there...a few things could go wrong...I mean besides getting hit in the face or head by a branch or bird crap....and besides being attacked or drunken bums...someone telling us to get out is the last thing we want to hear!

But lets remember the lady called in to get Ryaan removed. Here that call comes out saying as a disturbance...the easiest way is for Ryaan to get a note, card from someone rather than telling her to get documentation...because she may run and get an ordinance passed.... Or seeing she runs the park...getting a sign made saying "No detecting".

Those who took the opportunity to twist this story into something else...sorry for you...but this is a story of a woman running a park...not knowing the law...calling the police...the call comes out as a disturbance...the police ask Ryaan to get a note from someone saying it is ok...only to avoid this problem again and again as it appears it is going to happen. It does not sound like the police want to arrest Ryaan at all! But remember she can also file a complaint saying the police took no action...and you know what once you have two people disagreeing on a scene as in the park manager and Ryaan...that is known as a disturbance....and yes that is why at that point the police do have the right to do something...and as in this case not necessarily an arrest...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is worth your time to get something in writing or manage to come to a town meeting to present your case. Stress the point of the harmful things you are removing from the parks that could harm someone that could bring litigation against the city. The police have a tough job and they run into idiots everyday. Don't become one of them, do it right.

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
I understand your desire to put a stop to having your rights stepped on. After reading all the thought patterns of the well intended advice here. The best comment I saw was "choose your battles wisely. I say that because in my State any time you bring a legal action against anyone involved with government employment of any type or position, you must also name the entire agency all the way up the ladder including the Governor and the State itself to avoid having the suit thrown out for improper filing. I'm not a lawyer by any means, but have learned from experience that this type situation can be very expensive, long drawn out, and very expensive and depressingly dissapointing. It woould be much simpler in this case to swallow your pride and move on to some place you can enjoy yourself undisturbed by power crazed idiocy. Happy Hunting.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mellowcheddar said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
SC_hunter said:
I would be on my merry way ......looking for the nearest donut shop.

I thought you guy's gave up donuts and went for crumpits and starbucks now?

We do NOT serve crumpets. We DO serve scones. :coffee2:
Ok guys....remember...I'm from the South and got no idea what a scone is...and I thought a crumpet was....well......not like a bagel..lol

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
My 2 cents worth
You have a civic obligation to expose this woman's misuse of the authority granted to her. I would
1) Ensure I was violating no law/ rules
2) Have a Friend /mate in the park discreetly video taping any evidence of encounter with her while remaining unassociated with the encounter.
3) If it escalated beyond reason I would tell the Officer (Pride Integrity Guts) I was placing the woman under citizens arrest. Let a REAL Judge decide it with the video evidence.
Be smart about it either build a case and cover your a$$ or let it ride and move on. If your area has one of those "pepole's advocate" type News guys You might give him a call. They got to find their stuff somewere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions