coroded clad

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
our local Kroger store has a coin machine called Coin Star ..you dump your coins in and it counts it and they pay you cash but keep 8% for the trouble. ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
corroded zinc pennies will just clog up the coinstar machine. i usually just throw the nasty corroded zinc pennies away.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I was going to try the rock tumbler wasnt sure if I should use sand or? I thought you could just wrap all the coins,take them to the bank and deposit them?wether they are corroded or not?

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
we coinstar a lot of the pennies but we toss out the beat up zincs as these will jam up the coinstar machine like hollowpoint said. Shootist I have found that most banks will but some dont. We use a tunbler with a sos pad and a squirt of dish soap, I like the sos pad the best because then I dont have gravel all over the place like I used to
hh
dave+bobbie

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Take the corroded zinc cents to your bank unrolled and tell them you are turning them in as damaged coins; the bank will give you full face value for them and eventually return them to the Treasury Dept. to be destroyed. Sometimes you have to inform the bank employees of this arrangement but most of the more experienced tellers and managers know how it works.

Russ

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one word: COINSTAR

Awesome machine....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You could put them in a salt water mixer and add a little piece of bronze...the chemical reaction would clean them. Seeker gave me this tip and it works really well.

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
You could put them in a salt water mixer and add a little piece of bronze...the chemical reaction would clean them

Help me out here Gypsyheart, salt water mixture (mixer?) with a piece of bronze?

Does that do away with patina as well?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Southernhunter said:
You could put them in a salt water mixer and add a little piece of bronze...the chemical reaction would clean them

Help me out here Gypsyheart, salt water mixture (mixer?) with a piece of bronze?

Does that do away with patina as well?
You need to watch them....but I do this for the pennies that the girls are going to turn into the bank...newer ones

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally,i'd just roll them up in rolls mixed with some decent ones and turn them in to the bank that way.Get a few rolls of good ones and mix 5-10 corroded ones in each roll till you get rid of 'em all.Works for me all the time.The corroded ones will not work in a coinstar machine.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use either a rock tumbler or a machine for polishing brass for reloading. I fill the vibro polishing machine with abrasive stones from a machine shop and let them go for awhile. It cleans them up real good.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Them zincs get pretty tore up eh? I have just been pitching the ones that are so corroded that they have lost smoothness and have small indentions sticking out. Otherwise the other much less smoother corroded ones can just be dumped in with your other change. They dump all the coin into the machine in the bank and off it goes. As long as they don't have the deformaties sticking out or just plain still covered in dirt they won't clog the machine and no one the wiser one would say.

The fed regularly takes damaged coin out of circulation, that has always been in the master plan.

My wife is a teller. Many of the other tellers there have worked at other banks in the past. I asked them that question and that was the general answer. Any coin that is too damaged, bent, pitted etc that plugs up the machine they will not give you credit for.

I imagine it could be different other places..so just my 2 cents. :)

Rev

USCG ASM

Greenie
Oct 6, 2006
sorry postal since when is a penny considered a credit? A penny is a penny. unless your wife works in the bank. lol.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All my TH'ing friends
I take my coins to the Post Office and exchange them in the stamp machine. I put in five cents and hit the cancel button and it drops out a nickel. I will also take stained coins and exchange them one for one in those stamp machines. I also spend those crappy cents when ever I can. I know Banks will take damaged coins which are then returned to the Federal Reserve and then to the US Mint. This program is similar to what the Bureau of Engraving and Printing does with damaged or burnt currency.If you don't want those coins send them to me and I will give you one for one exchange.
Happy hunting, have fun but stay safe.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
Please don't throw away all those cooroded coins. If you mail them to me I will trade them for you. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Diggummup and all my other TH'ing friends
I am a Treasure Hunter of 30+ years that believes in recycling to the extreme. I bet if you were to take a poll with the question 'Do you recycle all the junk you dig up?' You might be surprised at the reasons that everyone gives for not recycling. I truly believe in recycling and it has little to do with religion. I don't think this rates as blasphemy or anything like it. If you care to explain what you meant then please do so. I believe in cleaning up the world one target at a time. No matter what I find if I can get it out of the ground and carry it to my truck it goes home with me to be sorted and sold as scrap metal or off to the recycle collection point.
I stand by my previous response; send me your cooroded coins and I will return (less 39 cents for postage) one for one your coins.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread