Corprolite?

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi. I found this in a creek/river bed area. There were a few of these on the ground, though not super common compared to the other rocks I was finding. I once saw someone post a very similar picture of a rock stating that it was corprolite from an ancient walrus or something like that. Any idea what it is or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ps update: sorry about that sad face thing in the subject heading. It was not intentional. I don't know how it got there. Must have bumped something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 84

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I can set you straight. It's not coprolite (don't google image that while eating - ew, looks just what it should look like), what you have is a pile of jumbled fossil shells in a matrix - crinoid stem, some coral, maybe a brachiopod - you're seeing edge bits, sides, etc. Just a nice fossil conglomeration, unless the experts see something special in there!
(go ahead and google those names and you'll see what I mean). :icon_thumleft:

Perico

May 29, 2012
Agreed! Almost looks like Coquina that you would find in Florida. Was it found in the state you are from?

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious too, about the general area - you have 3 states listed - can we have a vague location?
The coquina we have here in Florida is the same basic thing as he has - Perico, I'm from north central FL & I find nice samples along the east coast beaches, not to mention the awesome fort in St. Augustine that is built of it! is that where you find it?

OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks very much for the response. If you look where ohio, Indiana and Kentucky meet on a map- that is the area where it was found. It's called the tri-state area. I saw one or two more pieces laying in a creek bed. I wasn't particularly looking for it, so it was probably more common than that.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you! it makes a great garden or windowsill rock! or a paperweight, so you can keep turning it over and seeing what's in there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread