Jawbone in a marine cave, help!

yago

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI guys. I found a jawbone in a marine cave (around 23 meters deep).
Apparently looks like it belongs to a carnivorous animal.
Im trying to identify the animal but it's clearly out of my area of expertise

Any clues? land animal? marine animal? reptile, mammal......???

Thanks in advance
PS: sorry there is no size reference but i estimate it measures 25-30cm long
IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6075.JPG

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably something like a Mosasaur:

Mosasaur-dinosaurs-28881734-616-498.jpg

Teeth and jaw shape seem to fit.

I looked at Sperm Whale and Killer Whale jaws. The number of teeth are different. Modern whales seem to have teeth only on the front half of their jaws.

Mike

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's a fish. Maybe a barracuda, but there are other possibilities. When you collect it, be ultra-careful because the teeth may readily fall out of the fragile jaw. If the whole thing is embedded in flowstone, part of a speleothem, you may hesitate to remove it. If there is evidence of a midden, you might want to excavate the site with professional help.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,

I missed the size reference. Teeth completely wrong for a baracuda. Could be from a broken dolphin jaw, or a broken smaller whale jaw. Teeth look very conical.

Mike

OP
OP
Y

yago

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fish. Maybe a barracuda, but there are other possibilities. When you collect it, be ultra-careful because the teeth may readily fall out of the fragile jaw. If the whole thing is embedded in flowstone, part of a speleothem, you may hesitate to remove it. If there is evidence of a midden, you might want to excavate the site with profession help.

Thanks for the help guys.
I've found many barracuda bone pictures and it seems to match in most cases. Almost sure it belongs to a big barracuda.

I wont remove it from where it is. My sole purpose is to identify the bone and now maybe find out the age of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread