Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in OK and although we have thousands of acres of man-made lakes they are nearly all run by the Corps of Engineers. There are literally hundreds of swimming beaches within easy driving distance of my home. One problem......The Corps themselves don't know what their own rules are concerning metal detecting on those beaches. I have checked on the prospect of hunting these beaches at various levels of authority from within the Corps and get a different answer from every level it seems. The latest I got from the Corps office here in Tulsa, Ok is: Whether you can detect at all is completely up to the Corps Project Manager at a particular site. You may or may not hunt the beaches at all depending on that individuals whims. If you do detect on these beaches any items of value found is to be turned in to the closests Corps office and be held for the owner. If the owner doesn't claim the items within a given amount of time (not specified) you may fill out the paperwork to keep the item as the finder. (Didn't specify what the paperwork amounted to). Technically even coins found are to be turned in, and the owner is???? Sounds kinda' rediculous doesn't it? Anyway, I was all set to detect a well used beach although not one designated a public beach it is on Corps managed property. Just a few days before I went I talked to a person who had information concerning detecting on one of the public beaches and supposidly a detectorist was ticketed by the local Corps Ranger. His detector was allegedly confiscated and he wound up paying a hefty fine even though he had the same information I had regarding the beaches. I decided I was unwilling to take that chance and therefore didn't hunt the beach in question. I have not been able to confirm that the information about the "arrest" of the detectorist and all that went with it. The guy who told the story to me was not the guy who got caught. I checked with the local federal court and they would not say one way or the other. The case would be public record and subject to the open records act but witout specific information they will not, and rightfully so cannot look it up for me. So is there anyone that has more specific information than I have regarding detecting on beaches managed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers? Thanks in advance for your input.

jimmyokla

Dec 19, 2004
Jim they told me the same thing up here by Copan Lake and Hulah just north of Bartlesville,Oklahoma. But what they told me was that I cant MD on corps land because it was against the law and he cited some law about defacing government property.Hell I would have filled in my holes lol.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Haven't had too much problems over here at Kaw. Twin Terr. comes up here and hunts once in a while after Christmas in July. I've never been run off yet but they always keep an eye on me. But after showing all the broken glass which by the way is not allowed and also the nails, scrap metal, etc. seems to have helped. One wanted to confiscate a 10K class ring but after giving my name, address, and DL#-he let me keep it so I could return it to rightful owner-which I did. Had the owner also call C. of E. office and let them know. Sometimes I think it depends on if the Manager received a little extra desert ;) the night before. Best of luck. HH

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Kieth Wills met with the head Corp people in DC in 2001 on this very subject.I have a copy of the meeting highlights but unfortunately I do not know how to scan or fax with this setup I have,gotta wait for the son to come home in a coupla wks.However, you can contact Kieth and get the latest on this subject.
www.wwats.org
The info is enlightening and kinda goes in our favor.Remember,this was in 2001!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Thanks, warsaw. I'vebeen a member for a little while-just haven't had time to search all through their website yet.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda' started at the top and worked my way down. The big cheese doesn't have time to talk to me so I get shuffled down the line until someone don't have anyone else to hand off to. That's how government works. I know because I was a civil servent for better than 31 years! I would appreciate the information from that meeting if and when the computer guru gets a chance to send it, and thanks. [email protected]

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim, I'll E-mail the whole meeting notes to you both tonight along with a copy of their latest newsletter. The meeting notes make for some interesting reading.

phxmark123

Apr 9, 2005
Sherman Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Hey jimmileo
I mentioned to everybody how I was turned away from Eisenhower Park at Lake Texoma and how I wrote the Texas parks and complained. From what I understand is that Lake Texoma which had a lease owned buy the Army Corps of Engineers until about a year and a half ago. I dont know if a lease was renewed but anyways I recieved an email today from the head of that park. I can see their point on finding artifacts but just hunting coins and jewlery on beaches I tend to disagree with the rulings. Either way I am also not willing to take a chance on fines and losing my equipment. Heres the email and I am more than willing to discuss any reasoning with Park Superintendent. Maybe the parks can make an area for recreational detecting just like Lynx Creek did for gold panning in Arizona. Well heres the email

Mr. McCune -

I was forwarded your email from our Austin Headquarters Staff. I am the Park
Superintendent in charge of the Eisenhower State Park Complex. I believe that
you are the person who one of my Park Rangers spoke with last Saturday about
metal detecting on the beach at Eisenhower State Park. The Park Ranger was
correct when he told you that you cannot use a metal detector in a Texas State
Park. It is a violation of state law. We typically just verbally warn people
using metal detectors and do not issue citations for that offense unless there
is a failure to comply. At our park, as well as many other sites leased by the
US Army Corps of Engineers, it is also a violation of federal law to use a metal
detector on their lands as well.

In your email, you indicate that many historic artifacts have been found by
metal detector users. That is a primary reason for the establishment of this
state law by the Texas Legislature. The artifacts on state lands belong to the
State of Texas, not to the person who discovered them. While it is not as much
of an issue in a recreational park such as Eisenhower State Park where there are
no known cultural sites along our beach area, it is a huge issue in our historic
sites. At San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site for example, they
recently completed an archeological survey and learned new knowledge about the
Battle of San Jacinto. If the public had the free use of metal detectors on
those park grounds, many of those artificts would have been removed and not be
there for scientific study. The same can be said about many of the sites that
are now Texas State Parks or Historic Sites - Eisenhower Birthplace, Goliad,
Mission Tejas, Fannin Battleground, Fort Parker, plus many others. Regardless,
the use of metal detectors is prohibited on all state park lands.

Again, our intent is not to limit recreation in our Texas State Parks but to
better preserve the legacy and history of Texas for future generations of
Texans. There was a push a few years ago to change the rules on metal detecting
in state parks but it was determined to be detrimental to our resources and did
not pass into law. If you wish to discuss this issue further or have other
concerns, please contact me at the Eisenhower State Park Headquarters at

Paul C. Kisel, Park Superintendent
Eisenhower State Park Complex

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I'm in contact with someone who lobbies congress for MD rights and I could have sworn he told me corps of engineers lands were open to us unless there are leased to the state. I sent him an email and will let you know what he says.
Dano.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
warsawdaddy said:
Kieth Wills met with the head Corp people in DC in 2001 on this very subject.I have a copy of the meeting highlights but unfortunately I do not know how to scan or fax with this setup I have,gotta wait for the son to come home in a coupla wks.However, you can contact Kieth and get the latest on this subject.
www.wwats.org
The info is enlightening and kinda goes in our favor.Remember,this was in 2001!
Opps! didnt see that post. Keith was who I was talking about.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
jimmileo said:
One problem......The Corps themselves don't know? what their own rules are concerning metal detecting on those beaches.?

In that case, keep asking until you get an answer you like. Have them put that answer in writing, on their letterhead, and carry it with you.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference in the beach I detected and the ones I plan to are that they are not part of any state park system. They are merely natural occuring beaches along the shoreline of a lake that is under the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers. I can see the difference if it is part of the National Park System or a state park. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread