Cortes or Deleon any good?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy folks, sale pending on my Quattro and I'm shopping for something new. I use to have a Tesoro Cibola, liked it but I hate not having any idea on the depth of the target so I've been looking at the Cortes and the Deleon. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I've noticed silver is pretty deep in my area and just curious the depth on these two machines. Also, does anyone have any other mid range detectors that they have personally used and could vouch for?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
They are both good units.I owned a DeLeon and liked it.It was deep and accurate.A couple of friends had a DeLeon and were having trouble with the depth so they sent them in to Tesoro.One had to send his in twice,but after they got them back,they operated with good depth.This was about 3-4yrs ago,so if you choose one of these I would call Tesoro and get a list of recent serial numbers or serial numbers near the end of production and then check with your dealer(s) and get the latest that you can.The Cortes I have not owned because the scale(window) was too small(smaller than the DeLeon) for my old eyes,but I have heard good things about the Cortes.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Tejon and love it. It doesn't have a depth indicator. But, with experience you can get a pretty good idea on the size/depth of a target by listening to it while you're pinpointing in vco mode. Smaller, shallow targets have a different sound pattern than something larger and deep.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Just out of curiosity, why can't Tesoro make a machine that has the depth of the Tejon with the digital readout of the Cortes/DeLeon?

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell Tesoro, Fisher, & Garrett. i have used them all My pick & what i use the most is the Cortes, good depth and when you get use to the digital display you almost know what your going to dig up before you dig. If you go to competion hunt it super i never had any problims with it acting up because of being around other detectors

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both are good machines but are over priced for a dated TID machine. IMO

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies. The more I've been reading on Tesoro's the more open I am to getting one without the "screen". I've been thinking about maybe getting the Vaquero and the 10x12 SEF Butterfly coil.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I may be too late. I had a Deleon and I loved that thing. The only thing I hated was no backlight but I fixed that with a redneck modification.........

the Cortez is supposed to be basically the same machine.

What I loved about the Deleon was that is was so light and it worked. You just turned it on and away you went. I found relics, coins, and even a few pieces of jewelry.

The Deleon is an awesome machine. I miss mine and everyday I think about getting another one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread