gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
bones, it is almost impossible to answer this question. For many, many reasons. Just use the one you like the best. Farmhouses not withstanding.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ is deeper for sure.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid Tesoro fan who has every current model made in the current line up, so ordinarily just on the warranty alone I would say go with the Tesoro. The Cortez shares the same circuity as the Deleon so to me it is the same detector less a couple of minor things like notch and auto all metal tracking lilk the Lobo Super Trek. Based on that and the type of hunting you are wanting to do I would have to abandon my favor and say go with the Fisher CZ3D because is has the old coin mode that was specifically incorporated for really old sites to find really old coins, but watch out for the iron nails because it dines on them with enthusiasm and as with other machines you have to learn the different tones to be really successful and ignore what you don't want, so practice, practice and learn the machine. I've been in the hobby for 30+ years, so while an educated opinion it's just mine, others may differ, that's why we have forums.

Good luck!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the cz is deep for sure i've had cz3d but i got frustrated alot on the high to low tone bouncing off the target and once in a while i'd take a stab at it and came up with junk usually but then traded because i was afraid i might be losing and went back to one single tone and play the discrimination game and have better results

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
drybones48 said:
Which would be better at old farm houses, CZ3d or Tesoro Cortez

I like Tesoro detectors.
I also like the Fisher CZ series.

I think the Fisher would be the better choice.
It is a very close call and you might prefer the Tesoro if you could use them both for a few days.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I have the Cortes, if it had tones it would be the perfect detector. Just sold a CZ7aPro, got tired of digging deep rusty nails, they sound like deep silver, very frustrating. The Cortes depth meter is alway on, it helps to know how deep a target is. The Cortes can correctly ID a silver dime at 7" in air tests. I love my Fisher ID Edge too. It has 4 tones and a great meter. I prefer it over the Cortes only because it has tones. I think using a CZ on an old farm will be frustrating because of all the old iron stuff you will be digging, CZ's love iron.

Marko2

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2008
Manteno
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Surf pro, Whites MXT, Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Vaquero
The cortez does have tones when you switch to sum mode. Also the cortez is not a nail sucker like the Fisher. But the fisher cz is an excellent machine and has its place. But Fisher cannot bet Tesoros support.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread