✅ SOLVED Corundum in unidentified green rock?

CatEyeSapphire

Greenie
Jul 15, 2020
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200716_202508.jpg IMG_20200716_202704.jpg IMG_20200716_202745.jpg

So there's a bit of a story behind these. My great great grandparents use to be rock hounds their property has multiple sheds just full of various crystals and just interesting rocks they liked the look of. The property has been abandoned for about 40 years and my great grandmother who now owns it said I could go grab anything I wanted out of the sheds! I found a lot of interesting pieces but these are some favorites problem is I don't know what they are exactly.

I know the bright pink-red gems are Ruby my steel pocket knife doesn't leave a mark and the area these rocks are from is super high in Corundum but the green rock I'm just not sure about. My steel knife leaves a bit of a mark on most places, They're very patchy in color some spots being very dark bright green some being very light, It seems like all of them have little shiny bits (mica or metal) along with bits of white quartz mixed in and this is consistent no matter the color of the area. These come from North Carolina and with so many varieties of Ruby in other green crystals or stones I have no clue what they are. :dontknow:

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shook the internet 8-ball, and it says:

Green actinolite matrix (smaragdite) with small, crudely formed ruby crystals, the pink variety of the mineral species corundum.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the actinolite with corundum. It makes pretty cabochon stones.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread