✅ SOLVED Flower Nail Head or Gear on a Shaft?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1594928223.775837.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1594928234.041426.jpg

This is about 4 inches long..I put it through electrolysis but it’s still rather crude looking...At first it looked like a fancy nail, then more like a gear. It was in with other assorted metals on property used by people from the 1700s through now...Thanks for ideas!

Evan in CA

Dec 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me I would say it looks like a gear on a shaft. Like creskol said wick adjuster or to something like a clock

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you, everyone...so a gear or knob on a shaft that was likely used as a wick adjuster...makes sense to me! Love this group!

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember when I was a kid we had a round kerosene heater with a round wick. The adjuster was on a long shaft that came through the side.

I still got one of them down at my other house right now. That's right down the holler.

We were poor folk down here - Mom a single Mom in 1956 - those times will never leave my memory. Mom's still here at 94. Bless her for staying good, as best as she could be. Dad didn't pay child support - lot of times my brother and I had nothing to eat.

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I think it is a gear on a shaft. I've seen a lot of kerosene type lamps and I've never seen a wick adjuster know with teeth that big. Usually the knob has deep grooves on it rather than definite tooth shapes. Just my opinion here.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One night my brother and I tried to roast weiners over the top of the heater. We found that smoked kerosene is not a good flavor on a hotdog!!
I remember when I was a kid we had a round kerosene heater with a round wick. The adjuster was on a long shaft that came through the side.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still got one of them down at my other house right now. That's right down the holler.

We were poor folk down here - Mom a single Mom in 1956 - those times will never leave my memory. Mom's still here at 94. Bless her for staying good, as best as she could be. Dad didn't pay child support - lot of times my brother and I had nothing to eat.

Bless your mom and wishing you prosperity of heart.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honestly, I think it is a gear on a shaft. I've seen a lot of kerosene type lamps and I've never seen a wick adjuster know with teeth that big. Usually the knob has deep grooves on it rather than definite tooth shapes. Just my opinion here.

Thanks. All opinions welcomed!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread