Could this be a lead casting bar?

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi it's been a while! Its too hot to hunt lately so I got curious about this older find...

8c9d650.jpg
It says New York City, but looks like theres a Co. before that. Found in Florida, in a town settled by veterans but no battles were here, there was a sugar mill very close to where it was found.

I found something very similar online, but says something different.
stafford va.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO it is too small and too finely cast to be a lead ingot.

The vertical lines remind me of a match striker. Maybe off a souvenir ashtray from NYC?

The other piece may have said BALTIMORE.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found one in Hollywood Beach Florida when the put in a new boardwalk. I will search for it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I found mine next to a fired mini ball in Nov, 2006 after they dug a trench on the beach for a new boardwalk. It has the same lines, the same edges and I never could ID it. I think its too thin to be a lead ingot. I could not read the writing on mine and it was bent in a circle like a mini bracelet. I wish I could find the picture. But I recognize it. Thats it and it was a mystery to me. Anyone good at searching here? It was the first week of Nov 2006 when I posted it on this forum..

Can you post the link of the one you found online? What city in Florida?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be a strip of solder.

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two pieces of similar lead, both were found near or at sites where lots of lead pistol and buck and ball shot were also found. I would assume that these lead strips were utilized for round ball making, as no house site was near these locations which certainly could be solder type bars in that context. It appears that one of mine was fashioned into a neck chain pendant long ago.I never did find out what the letters indicated on either of mine...part of a makers name I reckon.

20190528_230436.jpg DSC09378.JPG 20181015_213547.jpg

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where the lead for home cast musket balls came from. I'd guess Civil war era or maybe a little later.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's where the lead for home cast musket balls came from.

I'm not convinced. These pieces are tiny compared to other lead ingots. They are far too impractical to be carried into the field and used to make bullets. I will also point out again that the casting is too fine and detailed for lead ingots. These are made to look nice.

Maybe - Maybe plumber's solder or something similar, but not CW.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it dates to the Civil War , I would think anyone desperate would use whatever lead they could find to cast ammo.
So IMO "if old enough " it could be CW or ? even later , heck people still use wheel weights to case bullets.
Just Saying???

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The New York Lead Company (later the James McCullough Company) sold lead bars like these. I find pieces of these bars in early miners camps where plumbing was non-existent but musket balls and shot were abundant.
I'm not saying they were used in the civil war, but that the lead bars were sold out of NY in that era.
They may have been originally made and sold as pipe solder, but they appear to have been used out west as bullet lead during the gold rush era and into the civil war era.

Lead Ingot - Odyssey's Virtual Museum
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/459334-civil-war-lead-ingot-james-mccullough-ny.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Union troops would not have been expected to cast their own minie bullets. It's impractical to carry the equipment when for the weight of the mold and pot you can carry a lot more bullets. They were factory produced. The minie ball is a three piece mold and fairly heavy and "complicated".

The Confederates? That I cannot say. They were much less formal in equipping units. Some were still shooting round cast balls.

People were shooting long before and long after the four years of the Civil War. And also doing things like soldering: leaded windows, pipes, leaking buckets, sheet metal joints, etc.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found mine next to a fired mini ball in Nov, 2006 after they dug a trench on the beach for a new boardwalk. It has the same lines, the same edges and I never could ID it. I think its too thin to be a lead ingot. I could not read the writing on mine and it was bent in a circle like a mini bracelet. I wish I could find the picture. But I recognize it. Thats it and it was a mystery to me. Anyone good at searching here? It was the first week of Nov 2006 when I posted it on this forum..

This thread? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/30507-trench-beach-produces-silver.html

No pic or mention of a lead ingot or similar...

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To clarify my comment...the "Civil War Era" is typically defined as a time period from late 1840's to mid 1860's
There were some early years when tensions were building that are included (not just the 4 years of active war).
It overlaps the "Gold Rush Era" and is followed up by the "Reconstruction Era".

I didn't mean to imply that these lead bars were used in CW battle.
However it wouldn't surprise me if supply lines were blocked and ammo was running low, that they would do whatever was necesssary, ransacking towns for resources which could be used.

Out west (during the gold rush era) people used bullet molds. The only bulk lead that I have found are these smaller embossed sticks of lead. They were probably a very handy material to around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This one right? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/32552-lead-id-needed.html
That does look like one, the second picture you posted farther down is better, its got the same horizontal lines. Weird to find on that stuff on the beach, wow!

The one I found online is here https://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/read.php?3,253589,253680

Its in Central FL. The town it was found in only dates to the late 1800's, my guess is maybe it was used at the sugar mill since it was found ~25 ft away from the old foundation.

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one that I found at an old home site in SW Georgia. Given the area and the patina I'd say it's from the civil war time frame but, I too have no idea what it is.

Attachments

• Lead.JPG
    Lead.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This one right? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/32552-lead-id-needed.html
That does look like one, the second picture you posted farther down is better, its got the same horizontal lines. Weird to find on that stuff on the beach, wow!

The one I found online is here https://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/read.php?3,253589,253680

Its in Central FL. The town it was found in only dates to the late 1800's, my guess is maybe it was used at the sugar mill since it was found ~25 ft away from the old foundation.

Yes sir that is it. You cant see in the photo but I remember the lines on it. The only reason I found it on the beach is because they dug deep under the dunes to put pipes under the new boardwalk. So it got down into the old and very old stuff. It may be pre-CW from the Seminole Wars, (1817–18, 1835–42, 1855–58), three conflicts between the United States and the Seminole Indians of Florida. There was nothing here but Indians during the Civil War period.

lead.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread