Could this be paleo???

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Found this a minute ago. The base is ground smooth. Could it be??? You know!

image-4038786588.jpg

image-3125532552.jpg

image-2092593936.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Tnmountains said:
The brown unifaced piece almost looks like fire pop on the bottom. The round stone with the dimple may be a lap stone or plat form for holding other tools being worked on. I have several and that was how some where explained to me. Speculation other than being a cool artifact and missed by many. But not you8-)

Thanks bro. What is a fire pop?

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point could be late 18th to mid19th Centuries, As the Indians met up with the white man They traded their way's for the whit mans way's.
After that If and when they ever needed an Arrowhead then what they made was a crude, very crude point.......jmho

P.S. You are right it does look like it might be fire poped(that's where a point or blade ,usually still in the meat is put into a fire and heated to the point where wated turns into steam and becomes super heated and blows out of the point or blade at the weakest part. most look like small round craters)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Gunrunner61 said:
The point could be late 18th to mid19th Centuries, As the Indians met up with the white man They traded their way's for the whit mans way's.
After that If and when they ever needed an Arrowhead then what they made was a crude, very crude point.......jmho

If that is so, this is the first. I have never even found pottery, I have no sites that modern. However, at this site I think I found small pot chard. Not really sure . I really don't see it being post colonial !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of those small dimpled rocks as mini anvils. Or a third hand. It is to small to bust a nut on as it wold break the rock. It might handle a pecan though.Most nut stone have many dimples in them or are large and cupped out most times on both sides. .Nuts was a part of every season and everyone went when it was nut time. It was a mass production kinda deal and the only food that was able to be stored for any length of time. Fire pop kills a lot of stuff. They threw things in the fire all the time and they were always burning the land for fresh browse and game. They had converted Tennessee into a tundra of rolling grass hills and timber in the mountains. Not like that anymore. I imagine they had whole states burning at one time back then. Cool finds N.C.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heat treating was common in Florida especially at the archaic sites. Heating the chert or agatized coral in a fire made the material easier to knapp. Sometimes if left in too long they will pop like described above.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell to well being on my phone but the very first pic. Looks close to a pee dee point. Late woodland.
Take care,
Pete

Attachments

• ProjectilePointChart[1].gif
    ProjectilePointChart[1].gif
    327.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
N

natchitoches

Thanks gator! If the point is unfinished , why would they have started with such a thin piece of lithic? Look up Clovis points made on a flake. I know this isn't a Clovis, but if you have never read about it , I know it will intrigue you!

clovis on a flake is a oxymoron

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its Paleo...looks like a blade or scraper to me

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
clovis on a flake is a oxymoron

That is the whole argument. Almost like the "unfluted" Clovis. To me, that means it isn't a Clovis. Others swear they are real. I don't know about the Clovis on a flake deal. I am yet to see one, if that tells you any thing.

N

natchitoches

a unfluted clovis to me is a goshen or plainview, but i could be wrong

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
birdpointgriswold said:
I don't think its Paleo...looks like a blade or scraper to me

Johnathan Griswold

I don't think it is either. The ground base had me thinking it possible. But, it just is not built to standard. It is a really ragged strange piece. Not strong enough to kill a wooly mammoth. I find the strangest things . First, turtle fossil now this oddity. What's next?

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
a unfluted clovis to me is a goshen or plainview, but i could be wrong

Me too. I'm with you 100% on that call. Not Clovis. However, I have books(rather old books) that list unfluted Clovis.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some archaic blades and points had/have ground bases too.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
np,anytime

I haven't finished all of the literature, but this is an in depth study of paleo life and tools of the time. I have been reading for about two days and still have no telling how many days of reading ahead of me. Thanks again!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread