Could this be the last?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Another wintery detecting day. Just staying lucky I guess, the weather is up and down lately, and mostly down on detecting days!
Dressed for the weather and hit a couple of fields and made some typical finds, nothing noteworthy but I have the feeling it just might have been the last hunt for the year. I'm looking forward to getting back to some old favourites and finding some new fields in the spring!
Good luck out there fellow hunters, hopefully, if you haven't hit a great one this year, there's still a chance for you!

Attachments

• last.JPG
    last.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 14

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good take. You never know what the weather is going to do. Hopefully it will be mild enough to get out all winter. Been really cold here at nights teens and now they're saying single digits in a few days. It's going to be tough but I'm going to stick it out till I just can't stand it.

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i took off tomorrow from work because saturday here in Dayton is suppose to have a high of 35. What temps do you have up there in Canada now?

Whats your cutoff temp for the season? (its too cold or the ground is frozen) --Im willing to dress for the weather as long as the temps dont affect my at pro

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw the color of those finds is beautiful!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... hit a couple of fields and made some typical finds, nothing noteworthy but I have the feeling it just might have been the last hunt for the year.

All things come to an end, (albeit temporarily ;) ). But, I must take exception to your "nothing noteworthy" concept. Do you know just how long and hard some have hunted throughout their entire "career", to even have a CHANCE at ANY of those coppers!?!?!?

That's part of what makes this site a bit intimidating. Sometimes it feels like regular, every day, hunters aren't encouraged to post here. After all, if what you found is NOT noteworthy, than why should they post their clad, bling and lizards? LOL

Hang in their IH, the Spring's not far off. :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Hopefully the frozen tundra will hold off till late Jan. I will detect until they have to pry my detector out of my frozen hands! Or like you till the detector decides I'm crazy and it's going home with or with out me!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
i took off tomorrow from work because saturday here in Dayton is suppose to have a high of 35. What temps do you have up there in Canada now?

Whats your cutoff temp for the season? (its too cold or the ground is frozen) --Im willing to dress for the weather as long as the temps dont affect my at pro

Temps here lately have been around the freezing mark, windchill just a few degrees lower. The top layer of the ground has frost on it bit you are quite able to dig, depends on the field though, grassy fields are better right now, bare earth are more frozen.
Cut off doesn't really depend on temperature for me, it's whether you can dig a target from the soil. Things may change and an opportunity may come up where conditions will change for a day or two and we will get out again, but inevitably the cold comes and stays for the winter

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds....just about ready to pull the pin here in Northern Ontario....6 months of winter should be here soon.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
All things come to an end, (albeit temporarily ;) ). But, I must take exception to your "nothing noteworthy" concept. Do you know just how long and hard some have hunted throughout their entire "career", to even have a CHANCE at ANY of those coppers!?!?!?

That's part of what makes this site a bit intimidating. Sometimes it feels like regular, every day, hunters aren't encouraged to post here. After all, if what you found is NOT noteworthy, than why should they post their clad, bling and lizards? LOL

Hang in their IH, the Spring's not far off. :)

I guess if I have to compare my sites and finds to others in various parts of the continent, then ok, my finds may then be noteworthy. But the sites I hunt regularly and the finds make are the usual ones I normally make, these represent typical finds for us and aren't really all that earth shattering Keep in mind there's a lot of research and field walking to put these within reach, you can exact from it what you put in sometimes and the hard work pays off

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Nice finds....just about ready to pull the pin here in Northern Ontario....6 months of winter should be here soon.

Six months! I guess you have get while the getting is good then. I hope to get out again but the wait til April is what hurts

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if I have to compare my sites and finds to others in various parts of the continent, then ok, my finds may then be noteworthy. But the sites I hunt regularly and the finds make are the usual ones I normally make, these represent typical finds for us and aren't really all that earth shattering Keep in mind there's a lot of research and field walking to put these within reach, you can exact from it what you put in sometimes and the hard work pays off

Yep. Most people figure out one gets what one puts in, or at least that it takes a bit more than just waving the magic wand. LOL

I'm sure that your skill in research is excellent. Otherwise you wouldn't think these as run of the mill finds. As long as the others understand that just because yours are not noteworthy finds, (to you), doesn't mean that they're not to others.

I have run into a few who must think it's somehow their absolute, given right to find the "good" stuff and they get angry when they don't. LOL

I was just pointing out that one's "trash" is another's treasure. (to borrow a saying) :)

HH!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Yep. Most people figure out one gets what one puts in, or at least that it takes a bit more than just waving the magic wand. LOL

I'm sure that your skill in research is excellent. Otherwise you wouldn't think these as run of the mill finds. As long as the others understand that just because yours are not noteworthy finds, (to you), doesn't mean that they're not to others.

I have run into a few who must think it's somehow their absolute, given right to find the "good" stuff and they get angry when they don't. LOL

I was just pointing out that one's "trash" is another's treasure. (to borrow a saying) :)

HH!

I should never belittle what I find, although not trash, they are decent finds. All I meant was that I didn't find anything I've never found before , which to me is the purpose sometimes of getting out there. I would rather find something new some days than find anything at all, breaking new ground and previously undiscovered finds is what drives us all I guess. For me really, it's finding something different, it keeps the thrill alive!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me really, it's finding something different, it keeps the thrill alive!

Oh, I have no doubt that you have it on track! :icon_thumright: I just try to protect and encourage people to share their finds. They're all special.

I'm with you, you call it "finding something different". I call it finding my exit find for the day. I just plain feel happier when I find something, anything that is slightly different. A piece of bling, a toy car, a 20 dollar gold piece. ;)

When that find comes up I know I have my "exit find", no matter when I find it, the day has been made.

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should never belittle what I find, although not trash, they are decent finds. All I meant was that I didn't find anything I've never found before , which to me is the purpose sometimes of getting out there. I would rather find something new some days than find anything at all, breaking new ground and previously undiscovered finds is what drives us all I guess. For me really, it's finding something different, it keeps the thrill alive!

I think this same logic every single time that I go detecting..albeit my logic is slightly different. I feel as though sometimes im "chasing the Dragon". Thinking to myself "Oo maybe this time ill find a better capped bust or barber" or "Since i found that old silver, now i need to one up myself"--gets tiresome sometimes.

It goes hand in hand with the talk people have about this hobby being Addictive--it is lol

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why you guys up in the colder states are complaining just build an igloo over your sites an keep diggin LOL JK:laughing7: Hope you can get a few more digs in this year, if not now is time for research.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I think this same logic every single time that I go detecting..albeit my logic is slightly different. I feel as though sometimes im "chasing the Dragon". Thinking to myself "Oo maybe this time ill find a better capped bust or barber" or "Since i found that old silver, now i need to one up myself"--gets tiresome sometimes.

It goes hand in hand with the talk people have about this hobby being Addictive--it is lol

I would be lying if I said I don't have a detecting bucket list that I would like to fulfill, but stoking one off the list every hunt isn't always possible

I'll go with Whafifind's philosophy, take the exit find and be happy with that

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is going to be my first winter post addiction, lol. I assume we all meet here and reminisce? My plan for the next few weeks is to hunt until my digger can't break the ground. I have the heavily insulated outdoor wear. I used it in March when I started this hobby, lol. I was out there then when the ground was still frozen in the shade and I hope to be out now till then. May we all get something that makes us long for warmer weather again before the big freeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
This is going to be my first winter post addiction, lol. I assume we all meet here and reminisce? My plan for the next few weeks is to hunt until my digger can't break the ground. I have the heavily insulated outdoor wear. I used it in March when I started this hobby, lol. I was out there then when the ground was still frozen in the shade and I hope to be out now till then. May we all get something that makes us long for warmer weather again before the big freeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winter is/was always a great time to research, look at maps and aerial photos etc, and get a game plan together

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using winter to catalog and take good pics of all my finds, do some electrolysis and watch Savage Family Diggers.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's sure looking like we're done for this year, doesn't it? Let's hope for a fluke thaw that lasts a few more weeks anyways haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions