could use some ace350 help and tips

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello folks. I recently upgraded from the ace150 to the 350. I found the 150 was easy to use and liked the simplicity of turn-on-and-go. I upgraded to the 350 because I wanted to get more depth and better discimination while staying with familiar features. I usually hunt in jewlery mode. Im mostly looking for coins but dont want to miss any gold. I am finding that im digging alot more smaller targets( staple at 4 inches,small tin foil ball at 5 inches) at slightly deeper depths than the 150. Most of the coins im finding are 4 inches or less. I've been poking around a home site from mid 1800's and have'nt found any coinage. Im sure there is gotta be something there. I tried using zero discrim but there is too much iron and its nearly impossible to sort out the tones. I watched some youtube vids and see people digging dimes at 12 inches. My deepest coin so far was @ 6 inches. What am I not doing right? Do the deeper coins id differently than shallow? I could really use some tips/advice on understanding my machine.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont have a lot of hours on it, before I got a At Pro, but what I did,is like you Jewlery mode most of the time, until the iron digging got old. Now when I use it ,I run it in custom, and notch out every thing, below nickles. this eliminates a lot of that......but you will still bottle caps, and some pull tabs. I dug dimes at 8 in.
Hello folks. I recently upgraded from the ace150 to the 350. I found the 150 was easy to use and liked the simplicity of turn-on-and-go. I upgraded to the 350 because I wanted to get more depth and better discimination while staying with familiar features. I usually hunt in jewlery mode. Im mostly looking for coins but dont want to miss any gold. I am finding that im digging alot more smaller targets( staple at 4 inches,small tin foil ball at 5 inches) at slightly deeper depths than the 150. Most of the coins im finding are 4 inches or less. I've been poking around a home site from mid 1800's and have'nt found any coinage. Im sure there is gotta be something there. I tried using zero discrim but there is too much iron and its nearly impossible to sort out the tones. I watched some youtube vids and see people digging dimes at 12 inches. My deepest coin so far was @ 6 inches. What am I not doing right? Do the deeper coins id differently than shallow? I could really use some tips/advice on understanding my machine.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In jewelry mode you are discriminating out some iron. Detector will acknowledge iron is there but won,t dwell on it. There are layers so to speak of items in soil. One place i hunt the oldest coins are several inches deep on a hard layer. If targets are also above them i,ll never "see"whats below if they are stacked above!. In damp conditions a deep coin high tone will drop to iron low icon on a swing. By swinging coil back and forth across it a coin tone and icon will stay coin. Just a single tone each direction each swing,a repeatable high tone is a must dig.( here you can use such a short swing its more of a wiggle)If an iffy one way
Coin tone try a different angle to swing from but i,ll dig usually. Very different than coins near surface. Dig iffy high tones too and see what turns up.
Coin and other i.d. are only approx. Based on variables to detector. while gold shows at top of screen it can ring up from foil to penny. The hundred and first pulltab dug could be it!. If still having a challenge dig every thing,paying close attention to tones and how icons behave till you can call steady tones before you dig. Still going to be "foolers"on occasion. All ways recheck hole before filling, on iffy tones often there are multiple targets.
Too,sometime a site will not provide a coin. The buying power of a single cent in the eighteen hundreds.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Releventchair, thats some good advice. I have been getting a lot of 6 & 8 inch signals at this one site that are high tones swinging one way and low another way. I did dig several and a couple were old mason jar type lids and a couple of nails that were like 20 inches long. Seriously the biggest damn nails I ever saw. And im a builder LOL! Any way, unearthing them was no picnic. Old home site is very long abandoned. Like 60 years or more. Very over-grow. Roots everywhere. So honestly, after a bit, I started skipping iffy targets. I suppose im still pretty new to detecting and should probably really slow down and dig those iffy ones. Would hate to miss a good one cause I didnt wanna deal with roots. Thanks guys. I appreciate you Tnet guys for always helping out.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are dealing with a challenging site, so take your time. The iron can be masking the good targets, so as you remove some of the iron, your better targets may be visible to the detector. If coins are under the iron, you have to unmask them before you can dig them. The Ace 350 will go deeper than the 150, but your soil mineralization can affect the depth.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread