Could use your thoughts on this one

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this morning and it is the second one of these I have found on this particular site, although this one is a little thinner and worked a little better. As I am still learning about artifacts, I have been a little confused in the difference between a core, preform, bi-face, large blade, small hand axe and flaking tool. In your opinion, what would you call this one. It is 2 1/2" long, 1 7/8" wide, and 3/4" thick at the thickest spot. Found in SW Michigan. Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Harry - I agree completely with every point you just made. In fact you hit on one that is near and dear to my heart, and that is 'intent'. I wasn't clear in my original post. I was attempting to say that I believe the artifact would, almost universally, be classified TODAY as a 'preform' or 'blank'. I certainly was not attempting to discern the intent of the maker. Was it finished, unfinished, discarded, lost, ceremonial (don't get me started on that one) or utilitarian I have no idea. I don't know why it was made, from the picture I don't know what it was used for, but from the picture I can tell you with certainty, that in today's environment, modern men would generally classify that as a preform. Just for fun, in your picture, without an idea of depth or flaking on the backside, #2 would class as a preform, the other 3 as scrapers or rough knives.
Just my 2 cents.
Joe

I think you've made a valid observation here, Joe. But, let me put a finer point on it: Some modern men (many collectors) may call this tool "a preform." Some modern men (archeologists) would call this tool "a scraper."

In other words, the use of the term "preform" has expanded among collectors so that it is now part of collector jargon. Scientists, whose job it is to use language precisely, use the term "preform" in a more limited sense.

(The number two tool in my image is a finished hand-axe. The other three are made from Coastal Plains chert found in Florida.)
toolhandaxeAcheulean.JPG
Yesterday, 11:47 PM
Edmundruffin
No use polish, so a scraper it out of the question. . . .​

I can only repeat what I said earlier: The presence of edge wear suggests that the tool was in use and not a preform. Unhappily, the absence of edge wear is not dispositive for anything -- the tool may, after all, have been lost or discarded before it was much used.

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey wallhangers (thats what she said) your pc is a ..blank all sided scraper bifacial ceremonial preform cache blade ovate ......end of discussion :thumbsup:
Ah yes...I wondered if that was what I had:laughing7:. Glad to see this piece is generating some discussion. I found another piece I will post in a little while but it might fit more under the category of a rock.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I think you've made a valid observation here, Joe. But, let me put a finer point on it: Some modern men (many collectors) may call this tool "a preform." Some modern men (archeologists) would call this tool "a scraper."

In other words, the use of the term "preform" has expanded among collectors so that it is now part of collector jargon. Scientists, whose job it is to use language precisely, use the term "preform" in a more limited sense.

You've clearly picked a side of the fence. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread