Counter stamped 2 Sols and more!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great hunt yesterday at a permission I have thatā€™s been hit pretty hard over the years. I put the nox in all metal mode and picked the iffy signals out of an iron patch I found. The iffy signals did not disappoint! The counter stamp on the thin copper coin threw me off at first and I thought it was just another bazinga, until I got home. The coin turns out to be a 1759 French 2 Sols! This is my second counter-stamped coin and oldest! Any info on the stamp would be great! Where can I find a chart to try to ID it? Also found a silver necklace with a gold bezel, a shoe buckle fragment, small buckle and a flat button along with the usual junk. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!! IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
F9E9DEBC-CB8F-445E-927B-1E307C3F865B.jpg
63243208897__48203F3E-96D6-4463-85BC-68932F450F54.jpg
4A47A42E-BFE0-40F9-92C6-5B6474E005E5.jpg

Upvote 24

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Have you been able to date, or ID the
coin in the gold bezel ? - (is the bezel gold ?)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Have you been able to date, or ID the
coin in the gold bezel ? - (is the bezel gold ?)

Iā€™ll post a close up of the coin in the gold bezel but it has a 925 stamp on it so Iā€™m 90% sure itā€™s a replica of a coin

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
Bezel is stamped 750 for 18k

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really interesting pendant. At first glance I though perhaps it was French because of the Fleur de lis looking thing. Not sure though, it's certainly a very nice find. Congrats.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great hunt. The counter stamped 2 sol is an uncommon find. Also the chain and pendant are unique finds as well. Any hunt with silver, gold, and oldies is fantastic in my book. Thanks for posting the trash so newbies can see what you have to do to get to the goodies. Itā€™s good to remind everyone that itā€™s not all treasure and as I always say if your not digging trash your missing treasure.

Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great hunt. The counter stamped 2 sol is an uncommon find. Also the chain and pendant are unique finds as well. Any hunt with silver, gold, and oldies is fantastic in my book. Thanks for posting the trash so newbies can see what you have to do to get to the goodies. Itā€™s good to remind everyone that itā€™s not all treasure and as I always say if your not digging trash your missing treasure.

Stay safe and keep swingin.

Thank you! Feels great to pull these finds from somewhere many people have hunted before!

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really interesting pendant. At first glance I though perhaps it was French because of the Fleur de lis looking thing. Not sure though, it's certainly a very nice find. Congrats.

Thanks for the input! I had someone tell me they recognize the necklace from the 80s

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a boat load of interesting finds! :icon_thumright:
You are lucky to find the whole necklace and chain together...

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like that counter stamped coin.

Thank you! It didnā€™t look like a coin to me at first but after I got home I wiped a little dirt off the edge and saw the date, 1759, and did a quick google search with the words around the border and bam! Happy dance!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pendant. The coin is copied from a medieval ā€˜florinā€™. The city state of Florence, Italy struck these from 1252-1533 in gold, known as the ā€˜fiorino dā€™oroā€™, but there was a less common lower denomination silver issue known as the fiorino d'argento (also called the ā€˜grossoā€™).

Florin.jpg Grosso.jpg

The above are only typical example designs for these coin (florin and grosso respectively) but there are hundreds of variationsā€¦ both Florentine and, by the 14th Century, from about 150 city states and authorities. Florence was a major commercial centre and its coinage was widely accepted throughout Europe, leading to other countries (including France. the Netherlands, Germany and Hungary) adopting similar designs and the florin becoming one of the most popular denominations for trading coins.

Yours has the typical ā€˜John the Baptistā€™ reverse since he was the patron Saint of the city, and a reverse legend ā€˜S [Saint] IOANNES [John] B [Baptist]ā€™ with word ā€˜IOA/NNESā€™ interrupted by his feet. The symbol to the left of his head is a hammer, which was a mint master mark used in Florence between 1252-1291.

The obverse has the lily as the emblem of the city, but I canā€™t read the legend from your pictures. Usually it will be ā€˜FLOR/ENTIAā€™ (again with the word interrupted by the design).

Iā€™ll leave that to you and Google if you want to try and type it more precisely. There will still be dozens or possibilities and, for replicas/copies, these are sometimes generic fantasies for which no exact medieval counterpart actually exists. My guess would be that, since yours represents a ā€˜wornā€™ coin, it probably was cast from the real thingā€¦ unlike this one, for example:

Pendant.jpg

Frequently the modern pendants were produced in Italy for good luck and, even though the original was a gold coin, the replicas are usually silver. It has long been a Florentine tradition to give a florin on occasions such as the birth of a child, with the wish: ā€œa florin today for a thousand florins tomorrowā€.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and outstanding research by our resident authority on all things antiquity in the UK Red-Coat! :notworthy:

Nice pendant. The coin is copied from a medieval ā€˜florinā€™. The city state of Florence, Italy struck these from 1252-1533 in gold, known as the ā€˜fiorino dā€™oroā€™, but there was a less common lower denomination silver issue known as the fiorino d'argento (also called the ā€˜grossoā€™).

View attachment 1894402 View attachment 1894403

The above are only typical example designs for these coin (florin and grosso respectively) but there are hundreds of variationsā€¦ both Florentine and, by the 14th Century, from about 150 city states and authorities. Florence was a major commercial centre and its coinage was widely accepted throughout Europe, leading to other countries (including France. the Netherlands, Germany and Hungary) adopting similar designs and the florin becoming one of the most popular denominations for trading coins.

Yours has the typical ā€˜John the Baptistā€™ reverse since he was the patron Saint of the city, and a reverse legend ā€˜S [Saint] IOANNES [John] B [Baptist]ā€™ with word ā€˜IOA/NNESā€™ interrupted by his feet. The symbol to the left of his head is a hammer, which was a mint master mark used in Florence between 1252-1291.

The obverse has the lily as the emblem of the city, but I canā€™t read the legend from your pictures. Usually it will be ā€˜FLOR/ENTIAā€™ (again with the word interrupted by the design).

Iā€™ll leave that to you and Google if you want to try and type it more precisely. There will still be dozens or possibilities and, for replicas/copies, these are sometimes generic fantasies for which no exact medieval counterpart actually exists. My guess would be that, since yours represents a ā€˜wornā€™ coin, it probably was cast from the real thingā€¦ unlike this one, for example:

View attachment 1894404

Frequently the modern pendants were produced in Italy for good luck and, even though the original was a gold coin, the replicas are usually silver. It has long been a Florentine tradition to give a florin on occasions such as the birth of a child, with the wish: ā€œa florin today for a thousand florins tomorrowā€.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread