Counterfeit 1828 coin? And other cool finds from new permission

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently got permission from a farmer who had 5 homesites on his property in western central Indiana, 4 of which he wasn't aware of, that are now cow pasture. The homes are shown on the 1876 map of the area. These finds were accumulated over 3 separate trips, covering 4 of the 5 sites.

My favorite find is what appears to be a counterfeit 1828 Capped Bust 50 cent coin with a hole in it so it can be worn as a necklace. It's the first of its kind I've ever seen so I didn't know it was supposed to be silver until later when I researched it. This one is clearly copper or some alloy that was probably silver plated at one time? If anyone knows anything more, I'd love to know.

I also found my first large cent which has two holes probably also for wearing it as a necklace. The funny thing is they put one hole over the last part of the date so I can read "187-" I think under the right light I think. So I'm thinking 1870s but it's in such poor shape that I can't say for sure.

I found a bunch of flat buttons. Almost all I can say confidently were made in Britain during the early 1800s due to their backmarks that read:
  • Imperial Standard
  • Will Cleaver * London * (I wish I knew more about this name because it appears to be the maker but I've done some searches and only ever find people searching for the same info without anything more)
  • Orange Colour
  • Rich Gold Color (probably the only one made here in America due to the "color" spelling I assume)
  • one without any backmark but still has silver plating relatively intact
I found a small lead bullet with the sprue mark. Does anyone know what kind of ammunition or gun this might be? Buckshot?

The gold plated locket was super cool to pull out of the ground. It was in one piece when I dug it, but when I carefully cleaned it off, the hinge broke. The photograph was still in the locket, but unfortunately was deteriorated so badly that it was impossible to see anything on it. I assumed this locket was just as old as the other finds at first, but when I realized there was a clear plastic barrier covering the photo and not glass, I was surprised. haha Still very cool to me, but this likely dates to the 1930s-1940s as I found very similar ones from that time that also had plastic instead of glass frames inside.

Other cool finds were:
a child-sized, heart-shaped heal plate to a shoe/boot
A horeshoe shaped suspender buckle
A handmade lead fishing weight
And a broken Spur from a cowboy boot! Loved digging this. Unfortunately the spur spikes were partially intact when I dug it, but when I put it in my bag and kept digging other targets it must've broken the rusty spikes off so now the actual spur part is missing those.

It's been a great few hunts! Any extra info or insight is always appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 25

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1857 was the last year for a large cent, so, it can't be from the 1870's.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That capped bust half is awesome!! My diggin buddy found a real one that got melted in a house fire but you could still make out the date. Nice work sir!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of really cool finds there, especially that counterfeit half! Your LC looks to have been made into a whizzer, very nice, and the locket and heel plate are top shelf as well. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got permission from a farmer who had 5 homesites on his property in western central Indiana, 4 of which he wasn't aware of, that are now cow pasture. The homes are shown on the 1876 map of the area. These finds were accumulated over 3 separate trips, covering 4 of the 5 sites.

My favorite find is what appears to be a counterfeit 1828 Capped Bust 50 cent coin with a hole in it so it can be worn as a necklace. It's the first of its kind I've ever seen so I didn't know it was supposed to be silver until later when I researched it. This one is clearly copper or some alloy that was probably silver plated at one time? If anyone knows anything more, I'd love to know.

I also found my first large cent which has two holes probably also for wearing it as a necklace. The funny thing is they put one hole over the last part of the date so I can read "187-" I think under the right light I think. So I'm thinking 1870s but it's in such poor shape that I can't say for sure.

I found a bunch of flat buttons. Almost all I can say confidently were made in Britain during the early 1800s due to their backmarks that read:
  • Imperial Standard
  • Will Cleaver * London * (I wish I knew more about this name because it appears to be the maker but I've done some searches and only ever find people searching for the same info without anything more)
  • Orange Colour
  • Rich Gold Color (probably the only one made here in America due to the "color" spelling I assume)
  • one without any backmark but still has silver plating relatively intact
I found a small lead bullet with the sprue mark. Does anyone know what kind of ammunition or gun this might be? Buckshot?

The gold plated locket was super cool to pull out of the ground. It was in one piece when I dug it, but when I carefully cleaned it off, the hinge broke. The photograph was still in the locket, but unfortunately was deteriorated so badly that it was impossible to see anything on it. I assumed this locket was just as old as the other finds at first, but when I realized there was a clear plastic barrier covering the photo and not glass, I was surprised. haha Still very cool to me, but this likely dates to the 1930s-1940s as I found very similar ones from that time that also had plastic instead of glass frames inside.

Other cool finds were:
a child-sized, heart-shaped heal plate to a shoe/boot
A horeshoe shaped suspender buckle
A handmade lead fishing weight
And a broken Spur from a cowboy boot! Loved digging this. Unfortunately the spur spikes were partially intact when I dug it, but when I put it in my bag and kept digging other targets it must've broken the rusty spikes off so now the actual spur part is missing those.

It's been a great few hunts! Any extra info or insight is always appreciated.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
bcbirdman

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A bunch of really cool finds there, especially that counterfeit half! Your LC looks to have been made into a whizzer, very nice, and the locket and heel plate are top shelf as well. Congrats!
Thank you! What do you mean by "whizzer?"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! What do you mean by "whizzer?"
You would run string through the two holes in a big loop. By holding the loop with each hand you could spread your hands apart and back toward each other to make the coin spin and make a "whizzing" sound.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! That counterfeit half is interesting! It might of had a more convincing color at one time. Congrats on your first large cent as well!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt getting such a variety of keepers. Congrats
Liking the counterfeit half for sure.
Nice catch on the whizzer and the other LC.
Good looking relic as the heart heel plate and the spur.

OP
OP
bcbirdman

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt getting such a variety of keepers. Congrats
Liking the counterfeit half for sure.
Nice catch on the whizzer and the other LC.
Good looking relic as the heart heel plate and the spur.
Thanks!

OP
OP
bcbirdman

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You would run string through the two holes in a big loop. By holding the loop with each hand you could spread your hands apart and back toward each other to make the coin spin and make a "whizzing" sound.
Ah okay, that's so cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread