COUNTERFEIT DRAPED BUST SILVER DOLLAR+CONN. COPPER

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
If you read the title than you can guess my excitement at my finds for the day. Once again the three detectateers got out to the soybean field that has been VERY good to us this year. We did not get out on Saturday so we were pumped to hit the fields today. I have to say once again that I'm on a roll. Not only that but what I found is my years best find. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. The Gibbon triplets were braving the cold temps this morning. I decided to hit the extreme fringes of the fields. Wasn't detecting for an hour when I got a 50 vdi on the sliding analog scale. 3 inches deep and I pulled out what looked instantly to me like a counterfeit large coin. I at first didn't see much detail on either side but I knew it was something special. Kirk was about 20 yds. away and was keenly watching his dangerously good uncle . I said "get over here you looney biscuit" He was at my side so quick that I figured he teleported. Breathing down my thick neck he says "what do you think dude." I said "This is definitely something. " After gingerly rubbing it detail started to appear. I said "I see stars." Folks I can honestly say that I havent said that since Ron Hamilton punched me in the jib in 10th grade. Well the stars I was seeing this time was at the 3:00 position on the front of a draped bust silver dollar.At the 2:00 position I can see the tail end of LIBERTY. I can make out the date of 1803 and it is exactly the size of a draped bust silver dollar in the redbook. I can make out the knurlings on the side. You cant see much on the reverse side but you can see at the 5:00 position the C and A of america. What a rush folks. Counterfeit Geo.II and Geo III are very common but counterfeit American Silver Dollars are NOT common. About a half hour later I got a good/bad signal.It read Iron and then skipped a little higher. I thought what the heck....This is no lie...Out of the hole pops a hunk of rusty old iron the size of my fist in the shape of a pipe valve. I looked at a chunk of dirt that I pulled out of the hole and low and behold a Large cent size green indentation was staring at me. Awesome ...I instantly searched until I found the Connecticut Copper with the date clearly visible as a 1787. I havent found on of those all year. Man I was flying high as a gibbon swinging in the top branches of a fig tree in the tropical rainforest. :DI coasted for the next few hours and found 2 tomback buttons and a couple other flat buttons plus pewter spoon parts. I hope everyone who reads this post has a great detecting year. :thumbsup: Chris
PIC00014.jpg

PIC00009-1.jpg

PIC00001-4.jpg

PIC00028-1.jpg

Upvote 0

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow Chris. I'm surprised you didn't need a change of shorts after that find :D
Kirk's teleportation from 20 feet away...to instantly breathing down your neck...says it all ;D
Nice finds my friend...and a great post that made me chuckle :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
silverfreak said:
Holy cow Chris. I'm surprised you didn't need a change of shorts after that find :D
Kirk's teleportation from 20 feet away...to instantly breathing down your neck...says it all ;D
Nice finds my friend...and a great post that made me chuckle :thumbsup:
Bryce. Thanks buddy it was a great day for me . I forgot to mention that I found an 1863 fatboy indian head in great shape.
Chris

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that the second counterfeit American silver you found at this site Chris? ??? Thats amazing. :o

I see what you mean about the clear date on the Conn. copper. Most dont come out of the ground like that. Keep hunting with your usual colonial passion :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Rob

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Evolution said:
Isn't that the second counterfeit American silver you found at this site Chris? ??? Thats amazing. :o

I see what you mean about the clear date on the Conn. copper. Most dont come out of the ground like that. Keep hunting with your usual colonial passion :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Rob
Thanks evolution. My 2 counterfeits found this year were many miles apart. The first one was a draped bust large cent counterfeit. :thumbsup:
Chris

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Here is some more pics. Comparison with my Morgan silver dollar I found 2 years ago. The Draped Bust silver Dollar is about 2 millimeters larger than a Morgan so this counterfeit is definitely the right size.
Chris

Attachments

• PIC00038.jpg
    PIC00038.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • PIC00043.jpg
    PIC00043.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,089

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HI CHRIS , I READ YOUR POST ,AND THAT WAS SOME SWEET DAY YOU HAD..... CONGRATS OLE BUDDY.....PACO

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YO CHRIS , I`M TALKING TO KIRK RIGHT NOW ON THE PHONE ABOUT YOUR DOLLAR........PACO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love the over-sized rim's of the D/Bust silver Chris ;D Awesome Dig's man!!!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
civilman1 said:
I love the over-sized rim's of the D/Bust silver Chris ;D Awesome Dig's man!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks civilman. I'm still hyped up about all of todays finds. I am in contact with the landowner for our next spot. I will know this week if we can hit it. If that doesn't pan out we have 3 or 4 similar sites in mind. :thumbsup:
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread