COUNTERFEIT DRAPED BUST SILVER DOLLAR+CONN. COPPER

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
If you read the title than you can guess my excitement at my finds for the day. Once again the three detectateers got out to the soybean field that has been VERY good to us this year. We did not get out on Saturday so we were pumped to hit the fields today. I have to say once again that I'm on a roll. Not only that but what I found is my years best find. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. The Gibbon triplets were braving the cold temps this morning. I decided to hit the extreme fringes of the fields. Wasn't detecting for an hour when I got a 50 vdi on the sliding analog scale. 3 inches deep and I pulled out what looked instantly to me like a counterfeit large coin. I at first didn't see much detail on either side but I knew it was something special. Kirk was about 20 yds. away and was keenly watching his dangerously good uncle . I said "get over here you looney biscuit" He was at my side so quick that I figured he teleported. Breathing down my thick neck he says "what do you think dude." I said "This is definitely something. " After gingerly rubbing it detail started to appear. I said "I see stars." Folks I can honestly say that I havent said that since Ron Hamilton punched me in the jib in 10th grade. Well the stars I was seeing this time was at the 3:00 position on the front of a draped bust silver dollar.At the 2:00 position I can see the tail end of LIBERTY. I can make out the date of 1803 and it is exactly the size of a draped bust silver dollar in the redbook. I can make out the knurlings on the side. You cant see much on the reverse side but you can see at the 5:00 position the C and A of america. What a rush folks. Counterfeit Geo.II and Geo III are very common but counterfeit American Silver Dollars are NOT common. About a half hour later I got a good/bad signal.It read Iron and then skipped a little higher. I thought what the heck....This is no lie...Out of the hole pops a hunk of rusty old iron the size of my fist in the shape of a pipe valve. I looked at a chunk of dirt that I pulled out of the hole and low and behold a Large cent size green indentation was staring at me. Awesome ...I instantly searched until I found the Connecticut Copper with the date clearly visible as a 1787. I havent found on of those all year. Man I was flying high as a gibbon swinging in the top branches of a fig tree in the tropical rainforest. :DI coasted for the next few hours and found 2 tomback buttons and a couple other flat buttons plus pewter spoon parts. I hope everyone who reads this post has a great detecting year. :thumbsup: Chris
PIC00014.jpg

PIC00009-1.jpg

PIC00001-4.jpg

PIC00028-1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Don in SJ said:
Nice going Chris, it's nice to see a easily readable date on the CT copper. The counterfeit coin is a good find, but I do not think there is any monetary value to a counterfeit like that, at least not in that condition. But for your collection is a good piece of history.
During that time frame the Spanish 8 Reale was still king of the coins being circulated and they were counterfeited the most.

Cannot tell by the photo, is it a pewter type or copper counterfeit?

Don
Thanks Don. Yes the Conn. copper is in great shape and yes it is nice to have a very readable date for a change. Any idea on which variety it is? I was thinking it is the Miller32.2-x.1. This is a common variety. As for the counterfeit I am pumped up like you wouldn't believe. I am not bothered in the slightest that it is not in very good shape or that it is valuable or not. I wouldn't want to sell it anyhow. I believe that it is of the pewter variety due to the color. It had zero green tint that would be associated with copper. It came out of the ground in pretty much the same condition and coloration. You mention 8 Reale. That is what I told Kirk that I thought it was as he was scooting toward me in the first place. Kyle yelled from across the field to Kirk"What did he find" Kirk related back "He says it is probably A counterfeit 8 reales. This Counterfeit is solid and shows no sign of crumbling as my counterfeit large cent shows.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Captn_SE said:
Very interesting counterfeit coin find, Chris! Too bad it wasn't the "Real McCoy". ::)

You have been doing so well. You're showing your nephews how it's done!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on your CT Coppa also!! Great find!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan, It would be nice to find the real deal but this is more special to me. Kirk and Kyle are doing well for themselves but it does seem that lately I have been putting on a clinic for those youngsters. :wink: ;D
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Derek752 said:
First of all I dang oxidation , DANG it to HECK ! :cussing: Its just not fair I tell ya ! What ever combination of metals Mr Counterfeiter used to fabricate that coin were certainly not of the best quality ( of course ) but the years in the earths washing machine did'nt help :sad5:

I highly doubt the Colonial dude secretly making homemade American wilvers in his hidden lair in the dark Pennsylvania woods laughing hysterically like a mad scientist knew one day the 3 datectorists would come along and dig his creation !! Maybe after he was apprehended and after a speedy 15 minute trial as he was dropping with the hangmans noose around his neck the name Colonial Silver Zeus flashed thru his mind ?

Chris that is a FANTASTIC :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: find !! Its why were out in lonely , cold , windy cornfields searching !! I can only imagine the skipped heartbeats as you held it in your hand !! Kirk there in an instant as if he was beemed by Scottie from the Enterprise ! I'm telling ya that field is hiding many MANY more one of a kinds ! Maybe a true 1804 :thumbsup:

And a Connecticut Coppa to boot with a pronounced date !! Ever stop when your hunting that site a imagine all the activity and people drinking and whooping it up at the colonial tavern ? To bad we cant see back in time :sad11:

I know there are more colonial type coins there ! Just a millimeter beyond electronic reach :icon_scratch: I hope Ivan plows it all up :thumbsup:

WTG C Dude :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy:

D. :icon_study: :icon_scratch: :read2: :icon_thumleft:
Thanks Derek, It's funny that you bring up the aspect of punishment given out to counterfeiters when caught because that is exactly what the 3 of us were discussing as I was holding my just identified coin in my hand. I know they did not mess around with automatic appeals to death row inmates and that most likely they right away threw a rope around a sturdy branch and hung him from the neck until dead. What a chance they took by making them and to me that is part of what makes them a great find. It allows the imagination to grind out an exciting scenerio and makes this hobby all the more enjoyable. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Packrat said:
wtg looks like you are doing great this year im pretty new to detecting but reading about what everyone on here finds gets me pumped up and ready to go congrats on a sweet find.
Welcome to treasure net and thank you for the reply. Now go out and make us proud. :icon_king:
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
ModernMiner said:
Chris,
Just back from our San Fran vacation & catching up on all the great finds.
I see your streak has continued too. :thumbsup: Fantastic finds indeed.
I thought I had a great day in SF getting my first manicure, pedicure, & massage from three young Asian girls, but I think you may have topped that. :tongue3: :wink:
Way to go Big Guy!!! :icon_king:
-Doug-
I would normally say I was jealous of what you just received but......Well yes man I am jealous and thats not fair ! :tongue3: Thanks Doug and keep the finds a coming. :thumbsup:
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, I looked for about half hour and just not enough of the necessary details showing clearly enough on the photo to get a positive attribution. However, I can say for certain it is not a Miller32.2-x.1. The Reverse side is a definite non match.
CT coppers are very hard to attribute when all details not showing in most cases, I have a couple I have no idea what they are, needless to say they are not in the best shape.

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, I got an attribution on your Conn copper. I could not find it since no photo was listed to compare with, I had to say uncle on your coin and ask for assistance from a collector who recognized it as a Miller 33.13-Z.1 variety, Rarity 6.

Don

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Don in SJ said:
Chris, I got an attribution on your Conn copper. I could not find it since no photo was listed to compare with, I had to say uncle on your coin and ask for assistance from a collector who recognized it as a Miller 33.13-Z.1 variety, Rarity 6.

Don
Thanks Don...With hundreds of varieties I would have to say that Conn. Coppers of the 1787 year bust left is one of the most difficult coins to ID. Your services and connections are trully invaluable to all on TN. :thumbsup:
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeit dollar is pretty cool... and your CT is Miller 33.13-Z.1 variety, Rarity 6. 8)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Counterfeit dollar is pretty cool... and your CT is Miller 33.13-Z.1 variety, Rarity 6. 8)

By the way, I have ID'ed your CT variety as Miller 33.13-Z.1, Rarity 6. :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

To think Don had to say uncle on such an easy one. Only took us a minute or two. ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

To think Don had to say uncle on such an easy one. Only took us a minute or two. ;D

Well, I almost had ya beat on the ID--it just took a second to because I mis-typed the Rarity value of the coin, and I didn't want to mislead poor Zeus with an R7 if it was only an R6. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread