Counterfeit KGII Halfpenny?? few other colonial finds today!

U

umrgolf

Hello all, I went to the site where I've gotten a few of the cut spanish silvers I posted last week. My first nice target of the day was the KGII halfpenny. Something is not right about this coin though, it only reads a 60 on my F75 and a 37 on my partners E-trac.. much lower than it should.. The date appears to be 1774?? Ive looked and i thought they stopped making them in the 1750's. I'm not sure what is goins on with this coin! haha.. anyway, got a couple nice buttons and the arrowhead shaped brass item?? hmm odd day I guess Jeff

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 479
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 488
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks ty, didnt realize they were so common :laughing7:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

No I don't see any marks on it but given the color of the metal it appears to be from the late 1600's early 1700's.. Have no clue what it is/was :dontknow:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Geo II Halfpenny looks Regal (real to me) :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks guys for the replies... To me, the coin looks very real but the one my partner dug there hit around 80 on my machine and this one hits 60 every swing (lower than zinc and copper pennies).. I guess that's what is throwing me off.. And did they make them in the 1770's? :dontknow:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Thanks guys for the replies... To me, the coin looks very real but the one my partner dug there hit around 80 on my machine and this one hits 60 every swing (lower than zinc and copper pennies).. I guess that's what is throwing me off.. And did they make them in the 1770's? :dontknow:

No that would be Geo III. Are you sure its that date (the 3's sometimes look like 7s)?

Geo II - 1727-60 (reigned)

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

The third number is a 7.. The last # is either a 4 or a 5... My partner looked and agreed, I would say 95% sure, unless my eyes are playin tricks on me ;D .. Did the kgIII's have any that looked left?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
The third number is a 7.. The last # is either a 4 or a 5... My partner looked and agreed, I would say 95% sure, unless my eyes are playin tricks on me ;D .. Did the kgIII's have any that looked left?

1734/35 are both quite common dates, as I said the 3 to those that don't handle lots could look like a 7. If it is a 7 you have a extremely rare counterfiet, possibly the only one (but I'm sure it won't be, lets hope I'm wrong) :wink:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Cru, I looked at a pic online of a mint 1733 to get an idea of what im looking for on that 3... i grabbed my coin, every way you look at it, every angle of light, it looks like a 7.. there is certainly no dash coming from the middle of the number that would indicate a 3

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Cru, I looked at a pic online of a mint 1733 to get an idea of what im looking for on that 3... i grabbed my coin, every way you look at it, every angle of light, it looks like a 7.. there is certainly no dash coming from the middle of the number that would indicate a 3
http://www.thecoinhouse.com/USERIMAGES/far1734.JPG
There is no dash as such, the corrosion is probably hidding the bulb of the 3.
Clean it with peroxide (if you know the method well) & have another look.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

I'm sure you are probably right... I'm not familiar with cleaning them with peroxide but I know a few people who probably are, so I won't mess with it and see what we come up with.. I won't be able to do it today, boss called me in :laughing7: gotta love the navy :headbang: thanks cru

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Btw, heres a vid of just dug :laughing7: I apologize for the wind! You can only hear it the first half... Jeff

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's impossible for the date on a KGII to be 1774, CFT or Regal. GREAT FIND! My guess is 1734. Need better pics. The Hogge :headbang: There is plenty of detail left ,and the coin doesn't appear to be too porous. Use heated peroxide. If it is a "7", could be an EXTREMELY RARE CFT. Good Luck and lets SEE!!!!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks hogge, Im not too familiar with these coins, I've only dug one other (dateless) and seen maybe 4 or 5 others dug... have a good one :icon_sunny:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Thanks hogge, Im not too familiar with these coins, I've only dug one other (dateless) and seen maybe 4 or 5 others dug... have a good one :icon_sunny:
I have 2 KGII, and a dozen or so KGIII. Don in SJ and IP can help with this one. CFT. is NOT a bad thing. As you can see in my signiture I sold one, I dug, for $3,750. We just need better pics of both sides. This involves some cleaning. If you are not comfortable on how to do this, some of the other members can help. I recommend heated peroxide on this particular coin for the reasons I stated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions