jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a new member posted this in the PA Section.
Thought you's may want to know.

P.B. and Dylan said:
Found this info on Wikipedia (nickel) , and other articles on the internet. Google Francis LeRoy Henning.

An unofficial variety of the wartime coin dated 1944 was made in 1954 when counterfeit nickels were produced by Francis LeRoy Henning of Erial, New Jersey. He had previously been arrested for counterfeiting $5 bills. The 1944 nickels were quickly spotted since Henning neglected to add the large mintmark. [1] He also made counterfeit nickels dated 1939, 1946, 1947, and possibly 1953 as well as one other unidentified date [2]. It is estimated that more than 100,000 of Henning's nickels reached circulation. These can still be found in pocket change, and there is a thriving collectors' market for them, although owning a counterfeit is technically illegal. Henning dumped another 200,000 nickels in Copper Creek, New Jersey, of which only 14,000 were recovered. Another 200,000 are thought to have been dumped in the Schuylkill River. When caught, Henning was sentenced to 3 years in jail, and was required to pay a $5,000 fine.

Looks like these are worth between $20 to $40 each, although I'm sure that if you found all 386,000 it would drive the value down quite a bit.

Paul

Upvote 0

oracle

Nov 1, 2008
MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
That would be an interesting addition to the collection.

Ju8vP3t

Interesting story, never heard of anyone counterfeiting nickels....seems like it wouldn't be practical, with the equipment you'd need to make such a quantity (500k) and too, someone with that much ambition, to forget and leave off the mint mark seems odd......but "truth is stranger than fiction" sometimes...I'l have to double check my nickels from now on

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about you guys, but I would -NOT- want to go diving in the Schuylkill. Ever.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, I heard about this a few years ago. :thumbsup:

HolyDiver

Bronze Member