Counterfeit quarter???

metaldetectinggod

Sep 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello found this today in my pocket change it doesn't look on point with the details no reeded edge too also very shiny. Do you guys think this is a counterfeit coin or what. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015165.907947.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015185.535862.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015210.403785.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015245.290355.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015257.352423.jpg

Upvote 7

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's got to be a magician quarter who would counterfeit a quarter? All that work for a piece of gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell that to henning and his nickels ;)

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great eye and what an unusual coin! Looking more closely I see the tuft of hair up the back of the neck isn't right,the nose AND chin profile are wrong,along with the other mentioned problems...quite a conversation piece!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with G.I.B. I think its a magicians Quarter. I have some magicians Kennedy Half Dollars.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other possibility is that it is a "spy coin" and one that opens up and has a hidden compartment between the two halves, see if it unscrews or can be separated.

Web Link: Quarter

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?? As long as he didn't try to pass it off as real, I wouldn't think there would be any problems with keeping it. Kinda like copying dollar bills on your inkjet - but if you don't try to spend it or use it as currency, then how can simply owning it be illegal?

Btw, great find on the cointalk post. I was thinking the same thing before going there - a cheap, though profitable counterfeit. If made of steel, or even stainless steel, profit margins could potentially be even higher, especially of these are made from punch press waste and gotten free. Could be very lucrative for someone with the right connections and the desire to make such a monstrosity.
Wonder if some counterfeiter got smart? I've always wondered why they go for big bills. Everyone scrutinizes the big bills, but how many clerks even look at 5s & singles. If someone made those quarters to drop in the coinstars they'd get the profit with little risk. I know coinstars are set up pretty good, the ones around here kick back silver because of the weight difference. Cool find! Really gets the brain cells thumpin trying to figure it out!:icon_thumleft:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder if some counterfeiter got smart? I've always wondered why they go for big bills. Everyone scrutinizes the big bills, but how many clerks even look at 5s & singles. If someone made those quarters to drop in the coinstars they'd get the profit with little risk. I know coinstars are set up pretty good, the ones around here kick back silver because of the weight difference. Cool find! Really gets the brain cells thumpin trying to figure it out!:icon_thumleft:

There's magnets in Coinstars.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there are. But there are other metals planchets can be stamped from. If I can sit here and figure out how to do a passable counterfeit in an hour or two, don't you think the crooks can figure it out in 2.2 seconds? I used to tell people, "If it takes me 2 minutes to pick your lock open, a crook can do it in a second!" Good sales phrase to get customers to buy an upgraded lock. Then think! Remember when they brought out the nifty little unhackable holograms on our credit / ATM cards. A few months before they were to be released there was a bust (in the Philippines if I recall right) and they had stacks of thousands of cards ready to go. So anything we can do a crook can do in 10xs less time.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah there are. But there are other metals planchets can be stamped from. If I can sit here and figure out how to do a passable counterfeit in an hour or two, don't you think the crooks can figure it out in 2.2 seconds? I used to tell people, "If it takes me 2 minutes to pick your lock open, a crook can do it in a second!" Good sales phrase to get customers to buy an upgraded lock. Then think! Remember when they brought out the nifty little unhackable holograms on our credit / ATM cards. A few months before they were to be released there was a bust (in the Philippines if I recall right) and they had stacks of thousands of cards ready to go. So anything we can do a crook can do in 10xs less time.

You're definitely right about that. I just find it funny counterfeiting chump change that's all.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turkey vulture on the reverse proves it is indeed a fake - magician's magic magnetic quarter 100%. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions