Counterfeits

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
Counterfeits

A wrinkle in the whole Gold search at yard sales is the presence of fakes labeled 14k. The better counterfeits will pass the magnet test. I think the rule of thumb I am finding is that the bolder and more visible the marking, the more apt it is to be plated. The more I have to search for the item and the harder the marking is to see, seems more likely to be authentic. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for any insight.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Counterfeits

Yep, they are out there and I have bought several at 25¢ - 50¢ each. When I see a pile of junk jewelry I will go thru it and offer a dollar for a small handful. It usually works.

Now, if someone pulls out the good stuff that they know is gold I pull out my electronic tester and pay the big bucks if it tests real. There is no way I will pay gold prices if I don't test first. Haven't been bit yet. :icon_pirat:

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

One of the PM guys that buy at the swap meet I sell at was telling me that he has been running into several pieces of 10k gold jewelry that has been alloyed with aluminum. don't know how it effects your tester but acid test as 10k. He said it was a little flakey when scratched on his stone. Any comments.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Lately I have been running into all kinds of stuff marked "sterling" or ".925" that turned out to be bogus. I have been told to treat hallmarks as bold faced lies until put to the acid or tester.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I picked up 2 chains last weekend boldly marked "925" and "Italy". Both stick to a magnet. Closer inspection reveals they were slightly rusty.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
i never seem to find jewelery at the yard sales I visit. :icon_scratch:
You have to ask or look in the boxes. Lots of boxes seem to be just put out and probably packed years earlier. They don't know what they have.

I once found a kids jewelry box in it's store shelf box. I opened the box to get a closer look and it was filled with jewelry. But the owner saw what I say and "decided" not to sell. :'( If I hadn't taken a peek I probably could have bought for a buck. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread