GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone mentioned the idea of tracking counterpunched lincoln pennies to see if we can find one counterpunched from every state.

I didn't want to add it to the main 2008 tracking list thread, so I figured I would create a new thread dedicated to any interesting counterpunch finds (not just state counterpunches).

Also I would like to start off the list with the penny I found searching today that was counterpunched with OH.

Tracking list for lincoln cents counterpunched with states

ALABAMA (AL), ALASKA (AK), ARIZONA (AZ), ARKANSAS (AR), CALIFORNIA (CA), COLORADO (CO), CONNECTICUT (CT), DELAWARE (DE), FLORIDA (FL), GEORGIA (GA), HAWAII (HI), IDAHO (ID), ILLINOIS (IL), INDIANA (IN), IOWA (IA), KANSAS (KS), KENTUCKY (KY), LOUISIANA (LA), MAINE (ME), MARYLAND (MD), MASSACHUSETTS (MA), MICHIGAN (MI), MINNESOTA (MN), MISSISSIPPI (MS), MISSOURI (MO), MONTANA (MT), NEBRASKA (NE), NEVADA (NV), NEW HAMPSHIRE (NH), NEW JERSEY (NJ), NEW MEXICO (NM), NEW YORK (NY), NORTH CAROLINA (NC), NORTH DAKOTA (ND), OHIO (OH), OKLAHOMA (OK), OREGON (OR), PENNSYLVANIA (PA), RHODE ISLAND (RI), SOUTH CAROLINA (SC), SOUTH DAKOTA (SD), TENNESSEE (TN), TEXAS (TX), UTAH (UT), VERMONT (VT), VIRGINIA (VA), WASHINGTON (WA), WEST VIRGINIA (WV), WISCONSIN (WI), WYOMING (WY)

Edit: This tracking list is not only for 2008, but only coins mentioned in this thread will be added to this list.

Upvote 0

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Strange what a yard can bring. If you looking for all the states, here they are. All cents are 1976, would think it had to do with the 200th anniversary of the US.

Attachments

• state lincolns.jpg
    state lincolns.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,124

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recently, a NH state one and an old one with a 1 on the obverse and AD on the reverse

HH
-GC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I found one with KKK on the front and on the back it has the KKK in reverse.
Must be an old clan member penny.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I have yet to find a counterpunched penny OR halve, and I have gone through countless thousands of both. Then again... I only look at rims for halves for the most part, and the pennies I go through as quick as my hands and eyes will let me with while just checking the year.

~Dave

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
got a lincoln/kennedy in a bunch of pennies from my mother and father in laws collection early this year. will have to check for the date

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of my counterpunched cents...

Attachments

• Lincoln-Kennedy.JPG
    Lincoln-Kennedy.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 974
  • Lincoln-liberty bell.JPG
    Lincoln-liberty bell.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Lincoln-States and other.JPG
    Lincoln-States and other.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 782

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
I have never found any counterpunched coins but I was given a "smoking" lincoln cent.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hey Gmann,
I found a Kansas, and Texas earlier in the year.

Thanks for digging up this old thread this is the first time I have seen it.

I am going to PM one of the Mod's to see if we can sticky these to the top of the page. I figure that would be good for the threads that have ongoing tallies.

Jason

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:
Hey Gmann,
I found a Kansas, and Texas earlier in the year.

Thanks for digging up this old thread this is the first time I have seen it.

I am going to PM one of the Mod's to see if we can sticky these to the top of the page. I figure that would be good for the threads that have ongoing tallies.

Jason

This one has an endpoint. I would think the main tracking list (lifetime only) would be worth making sticky, but not sure about the yearly ones as we will want a new one every year....

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're not confining the list to a specific year, here are three I've found over the years.

Florida (1975)
Kentucky (1978)
North Dakota (1960-D Large Date)

I'd also like to know what are the oldest and newest pennies found with counterpunches. Perhaps a tracking list for dates too, GMan? (Oh great, more for you to do!)

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
Since you're not confining the list to a specific year, here are three I've found over the years.

Florida (1975)
Kentucky (1978)
North Dakota (1960-D Large Date)

I'd also like to know what are the oldest and newest pennies found with counterpunches. Perhaps a tracking list for dates too, GMan? (Oh great, more for you to do!)

Nothing for me to do....anyone that wants to post that information is free to do so. I just won't be adding it to the list above. Feel free to start your own thread and track it... ;D Or just modify your own post within this thread to track it....

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This isnt mine but I thought i would post it. A Masonic cent with the punch.

Attachments

• masonic penny and punch.jpg
    masonic penny and punch.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 244
  • masonic penny and punch.jpg
    masonic penny and punch.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 234

DFidler

Jun 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was looking through some pennies I have and found a 1975 Lincoln Penny with the state of Massachusetts and MA in the middle of it, imprinted on the Lincoln face side. My understanding of these pennies is that they are only worth face value. Is this correct?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's correct. These were done by a company after the mint and sold as sets. In reality they are damaged, but could be worth a small premium to a collector of these. Welcome to the forum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread