Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting the itch to do some more land detecting again and thought of you guys. How's the year going for you both so far?

Wondered if you wanted to get together sometime this summer for another outting or two? Whether it be looking for native american artifacts or coins or whatever.

I'm gonna start doing a little research in your area or maybe one of you has a spot you've wanted to try for awhile - either way, we can bring along some food and drink, swap stories and maybe find some neat stuff one of these Saturdays or Sundays coming up.

What say you?

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: God's Country Girl and Laralucine...

Hey! I'd be up for going sometime, but can't this weekend. Kim would probably be up for it too (BTW, she's COUNTRY GIRL, God's Country Girl is a new member with a confusing screen name) ;)
LL

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

laralucine said:
Hey! I'd be up for going sometime, but can't this weekend. Kim would probably be up for it too (BTW, she's COUNTRY GIRL, God's Country Girl is a new member with a confusing screen name) ;)
LL

Hehe - thanks for correcting me - I remembered Kim as Country Girl, but I saw this "God's Country Girl" posting and just assumed she changed her name :-)

I'm busy this weekend as well - I'll do some research and see what I can come up with though and we can make a day of it soon!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

That's ok Cub, I would be thrilled to do it again. The weekend of Aug 4th is out but besides that? What do you guys want to hunt for relics, arrow heads, maybe a trailer park that was flooded and now vacant lot? When and where? I had a great time last fall!

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to get out and hunt with all you guys, just let me know if this comes together.
I'm open in terms of schedule, with the exception of Sat. Aug. 25th - it's my two girls birthdays that weekend.

I've been out your way 2 or 3 times so far this year Country Girl. I think of you everytime I travel through Gill, particularly when I go past Turners Falls, near the bend in the road with the rest stop, just past the traffic signal after seeing the pictures you had posted of the falls a while back.

Johnny Cache

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Ok looks like we have a date, Sat. Aug. 18th.! I really can't wait. Looks like 6 of us so far. We will probably need a large area. I will see if my hubby & his buddy will take me and show me the exact locations of some foundations, and get some pictures, see what you folks think.

I'll pull out the old maps of the area too, thanks to Johnny I have them :D :D.

Post your thoughts here or PM me. Thanks folks!

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Ok looks like we have a date, Sat. Aug. 18th.! I really can't wait. Looks like 6 of us so far. We will probably need a large area. I will see if my hubby & his buddy will take me and show me the exact locations of some foundations, and get some pictures, see what you folks think.

I'll pull out the old maps of the area too, thanks to Johnny I have them :D :D.

Post your thoughts here or PM me. Thanks folks!

Sounds excellent to me CG

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just checking to make sure we're still on target for Saturday August 18th. I still have the directions to your place CG, so unless we're meeting somewhere else that's where I plan to go.

Any idea what time you all want to get started?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Cubfan64 said:
Just checking to make sure we're still on target for Saturday August 18th. I still have the directions to your place CG, so unless we're meeting somewhere else that's where I plan to go.

Sweeeeeet, I'm still ready and roaring to go. With the heat the earlier the better, but any time you all get here is good with me. Can't wait, looks like 7 or better :D. I have a date to pinpoint the foundations wed. Remember the gentleman that was giving directions ect...... ;) Let's have some fun!

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Cubfan64 said:

Sweeeeeet, I'm still ready and roaring to go. With the heat the earlier the better, but any time you all get here is good with me. Can't wait, looks like 7 or better :D. I have a date to pinpoint the foundations wed. Remember the gentleman that was giving directions ect...... ;) Let's have some fun!

Sounds good! Yah, with the heat we should get going early if possible and bring LOTS of cold water!!

I can be there as early as ~7am if that's ok for everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all again and hopefully finding some neat stuff!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
7-8 am is great with me I'll have the coffee and donuts :D.

Wed I will be going to map out the old foundation locations to make life easier on us and see the conditions of the fields. I will post some pictures that afternoon. Get everyone a little more wound up ;).

Can't wait!

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys!
Sorry didn't reply last week, I was down on the Cape, but I'm still on for Saturday, too. I saw au4me (Scott) yesterday, and he probably won't be able to make it after all, but he'll let us know for sure. Can't wait!
LL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great Lara I'm so glad you can make it! Looks like Garretman64 and Johnny cache hunter are comming also. I really hope Scott can make it, I was looking forward to meeting him.

I'll let you know what I find out tomarrow afternoon.

Can't wait!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Alrighty, did not get to go with my friend for the foundations, but.....we may want to wait for fall for the fields, I'll show you why. The ferry crossing is still a go if we go to the other side of the river. The Ferry started crossing there in 1801 and stopped in 1925. I would like to hit the Grist Mill which is shown, may pan out there, proably allot less trash. I'll give more detail when I get to work. Need to get ready.

Here's the pictures......sorry abut the blurr in the last one, batteries died :D

Attachments

• deer mill fields 005.JPG
    deer mill fields 005.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 349
  • deer mill fields 010.JPG
    deer mill fields 010.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 348
  • deer mill fields 012.JPG
    deer mill fields 012.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 343
  • deer mill fields 005.JPG
    deer mill fields 005.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 327
  • deer mill fields 008.JPG
    deer mill fields 008.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 342
  • deer mill fields 010.JPG
    deer mill fields 010.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 319
  • deer mill fields 012.JPG
    deer mill fields 012.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 330
  • deer mill fields 013.JPG
    deer mill fields 013.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 349
OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe - yah, I was kinda wondering what those fields were looking like this time of year. Fall or early spring are probably best times to go there.

The Grist Mill and other side of the river where the ferry docked might very well be worth investigating. I like the pictures around the Grist Mill that you posted - looks promising!

I have some maps I'm going to bring for you too Kim. I'm not bringing them for our hunt Saturday, but more for your benefit as I was able to get a bunch of old Sanborn maps from the late 1800's and early 1900's from the area around Gill and Turner's Falls - thought you might want to sit down with them sometime and see if you can compare them to current maps and find some good hunting sites for yourself.

Cya soon

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
They keep rotating the crops down there, last year was potatoes, year before cukes, back to corn >:(. It's still alright in the woods along the river, but I figure the other spots are more promising. The Grist Mill was built in 1794, then added a sawmill that produced wooden buckets, 40,000 pails a year were produced here. Competition with larger manufactures closed the pail factory.

There is also Beaver Brook which was home to distilleries and a cotton mill, but that looks pretty over grown also.

I have a couple other spots in mind we can talk about when you all arrive.

Can't wait, should we settle on an exact time to meet? The weather looks good but cool for this time of year only supposed to hit 70 for a high. Perfect detecting weather!

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
They keep rotating the crops down there, last year was potatoes, year before cukes, back to corn >:(. It's still alright in the woods along the river, but I figure the other spots are more promising. The Grist Mill was built in 1794, then added a sawmill that produced wooden buckets, 40,000 pails a year were produced here. Competition with larger manufactures closed the pail factory.

There is also Beaver Brook which was home to distilleries and a cotton mill, but that looks pretty over grown also.

I have a couple other spots in mind we can talk about when you all arrive.

Can't wait, should we settle on an exact time to meet? The weather looks good but cool for this time of year only supposed to hit 70 for a high. Perfect detecting weather!

Yah, I remember the potatos in the fields last year. I think you have some good spots to try our luck. I'll be bringing water/gatorade, lots of Deep Woods Off and some spare batteries. You know there has to be some old coins and relics around that Grist Mill!

As far as time to meet, I'm pretty open - I can be there as early as 7am, but 8am is probably more realistic and doable - hopefully everyone else can give their preferences here too. I think Garretman64 needs some directions to your place too Kim. I sent him the directions you gave me from last year, but I don't know if he's coming from the same direction.

I was hoping to have a new "land based" detector by this time this year, but for now I'll have to make do with my clunky chest mounted Fisher CZ20 like I had last year. It works fine, but it's a bulky bugger - I had to buy a velcro back brace this year to use which has helped me immensely when not hunting in the water. I should be good to go - I'd love to find some older coins.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I'd like to find some older coins, or bullets, musket ball would make my day! If your detector gets too bulky I'll have a spare with me you can give a try.

Garrettman is all set with the directions. I think 8 sounds like a plan now that it's not going to be smoking HOT. Sound good to everone else?

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Kim knows all about this, but for those meeting there who haven't heard the story:

Gill — The Turner's Falls Fight

Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.

In May, 1676, about a year after the opening of "King Philip's war," intelligence was conveyed to Hadley that the Indians were located in force at Deerfield, where they had for some days been engaged in planting, and that on both sides of the Connecticut River at the falls (now Turner's Falls) they were in considerable numbers engaged in fishing, for which that point was and had been famous. Although King Philip was in Eastern Massachusetts, the Indians at the falls feared no attack from the whites, since they were aware that the English forces on the Connecticut had been materially weakened, and that they were scarcely prepared to make any aggressive movements. Nevertheless, Capt. William Turner (a citizen of Boston, who, earlier captain of a company of Massachusetts troops, was at this time in command of the English troops at Hadley) determined to move on the savages in the absence of Philip, and, having assembled a force of 180 men at Hatfield, with Capt. Samuel Holyoke, of Springfield, as his second in command, set out, on the evening of the 17th of May, for the falls. Journeying all that night, Capt. Turner and his command reached the banks of Fall River at daybreak, and, dismounting, moved on rapidly to the falls.

Their arrival was signalized by a concentrated attack upon the unsuspecting and sleeping Indians, who, aroused from their slumbers by the roar of the English musketry, fled in confusion to the river and plunged in, some taking to their canoes, others swimming, while many sought safety under the overhanging rocks upon the river's bank. Very few, however, managed to escape. Of those who were not slain at the first assault upon the encampment, it is supposed that 140 were either killed while trying to cross the river or carried over the falls to destruction. When the brief struggle was over, a hundred Indians lay dead upon the ground, and, according to historical authority, fully 300 savages were destroyed on that occasion by the rolling flood and the guns of the English. The loss of the whites was but one man, so complete and thorough was the surprise, and so powerless were the Indians to attempt anything like a resistance.

Unhappily, the glorious victory was destined to be followed by a disastrous defeat. Capt. Turner, knowing full well that formidable bodies of Indians were in the neighborhood, and were likely to attack him, tarried after the fight but long enough to destroy the Indian camp, and then gave the order for the return march. By this time, however, the Indians on the east bank of the river, and others from below the scene of the fight, were gathering to attack the English, and it was not without some difficulty that the whites reached the place where they had left their horses, for they were twice attacked while en route, although in each case they successfully repulsed their assailants. Shortly after mounting and taking up the return journey for Hatfield, Capt. Turner, who had earlier in the day manifested signs of physical indisposition, grew so ill that it was with difficulty he was enabled to keep his seat on his horse. At this juncture, the command having reached Smead's Island, opposite where Montague City now stands, a sudden attack in large force was made by Indians, and, a report circulating that the attack was led in person by Philip, at the head of a thousand savages, the whites became panic-stricken, and, separating into small bodies, fled in the wildest disorder.

The passage from Smead's Island to Green River was little short of slaughter. The savages, pursuing, shot down the flying foe or took them into captivity, and when at last Green River was reached, the English ranks had been reduced to less than 150 men. Here Capt. Turner received his death wound, and fell in Greenfield Meadow, near the mouth of Green River, where his body was subsequently found by the English and tenderly cared for.

Upon the fall of Capt. Turner, Capt. Holyoke, assuming command, rallied the scattered remnants of the band, and, although constantly beset by savage attacks, conducted the retreat with skillful tact and bravery, and eventually reached Hatfield, with 38 men missing from his command.

Capt. Turner's name was perpetuated and honored by being afterward bestowed upon the falls beside the roar of whose waters he had effected a great Indian slaughter; and sixty years afterward, in 1736, the General Court remembered the services of the soldiers who were engaged in the fight by granting to their descendants, to the number of 97, the tract of land first called Falltown, now Bernardston.

The village of Riverside, in Gill, is supposed to occupy the spot where the fight took place, and in that village a grove used by picnic parties is said to mark the precise locality of Capt. Turner's first attack upon the Indian camp.

I've always found the wording in this description to be interesting: 300+ "savages" were killed in this raid by Turner, but when they were set upon by those same "savages" (who keep in mind did not attack first), it's described as a "slaughter" at one point when the English had lost ~30 of their 180 men.

It's clearly off topic, but early history books and classes imho were predominantly written and taught to instill patriotism and not really to tell true history. The native americans who we brought disease and death to after we arrived are generally described as savages and sub-human people who we had to kill to protect ourselves. I'm not ignorant enough to think that the native americans didn't have their own wars going on amongst themselves or that they didn't show evidence of brutality as well, but they were hardly alone and it's hardly an excuse for the genocide and terrible treatment their culture and heritage was given by us "civilized" folks.

In the last 50-100 years, the U.S. has had it's hands dirtied in a number of ways (Vietnam, Iraq, etc...), but imho, the true black eye that our country hides is what we did to the people who originally lived here before we arrived many many years ago.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I am psyched! Technically I did not have permission for the grist mill until a few min ago ;). The woman lives out of the area and was THRILLED I asked. I gave her our local history and she was familiar with us ;). She said she knows people fish and swim, but no one has ever asked if it was alright. The neighbors and locals thought I was nuts for even asking ???. I said I would NOT go unless I had permission.....WHEW!

More good news.......remember those rock walls you wanted to detect Lara? I found out our "Farmers" own them :D, sweet! So the fields are iffy but the road leading to them are PERFECT! Guys and Gals get ready for some good relic digging! Oh and as a bonus Beaver brook, if it's not TOO over grown, we'll see? What about below the damn? That is if it's not open :D.

I've done tons of homework, and can't wait until you folks come and experience some "WOODS" digging :o. Let's hope so!

I think it will be fun!
Kim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread