Couple AT pro questions from a beginner

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my new AT pro a couple days ago with the adventure kit. In the kit thwre is a coil protector. Are you supposed to use the protector while detecting or is it just for storage?

Also, did my first beach hunt yesterday. Did my ground balance and started scanning in standard mode digging every signal I could just to learn the different aignals the machine gives on everything. I noticed that I would get "phantom" signals sometimes. Get a hit, dig and then find nothing. Rescan the holw amd the removed dirt and now there is no signal anywhere. What causes this?

Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130624_112404.png
    ForumRunner_20130624_112404.png
    193 KB · Views: 144

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
You should have the coil protector on at all times.

If you are getting phantom hits, make sure the cable from the coil is securely tightened. When new, it can be difficult to tighten more than a few turns, and that's usually not enough.

Learn to swing slow, and keep the coil close to the ground throughout the swing.

Also, on the beach, you might need to drop the sensitivity a notch or two.

You've got a great detector - once you get used to it, you'll love it.

Bill

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice when assembling that it was very difficult to get that cable pressed into the main unit. I will pull it tonight and reassemble it to make sure it is seated all the way.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did notice when assembling that it was very difficult to get that cable pressed into the main unit. I will pull it tonight and reassemble it to make sure it is seated all the way.
Bill gave you some great advice!:thumbsup: Also when connecting the plug pay attention to the "O ring" on the plug,and if it's dry use a little silicone lube,(divers/plumbers grease) and be carefull that it is going on straight,and not getting pinched on one side. You can use a little Vaseline to lube the O ring in a pinch.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my new AT pro a couple days ago with the adventure kit. In the kit thwre is a coil protector. Are you supposed to use the protector while detecting or is it just for storage?

Also, did my first beach hunt yesterday. Did my ground balance and started scanning in standard mode digging every signal I could just to learn the different aignals the machine gives on everything. I noticed that I would get "phantom" signals sometimes. Get a hit, dig and then find nothing. Rescan the holw amd the removed dirt and now there is no signal anywhere. What causes this?

Any input appreciated.

First id like to say welcome to the site & Congrates on ur purchase its a very good machine & will bring u lots of fun,
Coil cover ya id say definetly put in on not only will it save the investment will save the coil from being hit on rocks & getting damaged
As the cable instal ya it is a pain just go slow with it make sure u got the oring seated well & connection nice & tight
Phantoms signals again just check make sure the cable is nice & installed properly,second the sand wet sand, black sand,salt water is hard to deal with on the Atpro can it b used there yes u will need to do a good manual ground balance & turn down the sencitivity real low to get the detector to run as stable as u can u may still get ghost signals dont get discouraged we all get them the only way to avoid those well is to get a full blown water detector, its just something that needs to b taken slow the Atpro is a all terrain machine & will get the job done its just hard for 1 machine to b perfect in all áreas but it comes damb close good luck

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine has signaled on the slightest amount of metal. The other day I had a hit on a very small copper piece about 1/8"x1/8" and i dug the hole and nothing. I used my pro pointer in the hole and nothing then scanned the dirt with my machine and had a hit then used my pointer and got a hit then it went away and then it hit again. I filtered all the dirt through my hand before I found the little bit of copper. So sometimes you need to be patient and sift every grain of dirt to find a tiny piece that may be worth nothing.

Also everything GuerillaBill said is correct

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. Make sure that coil wire is wrapped around the shaft nice and tight. I like to bring mine up past the shaft coupler than start wrapping ("Clockwise"), I use electrical tape at the point, where I start wrapping, to hold the wire in place and it is as quiet as a church mouse until it finds a target. I also put a piece of Velcro on the headphone cable to keep from damaging the connector on both the machine and headphones. The most important thing is ground balance, once you master that the rest will come with time. Put that coil cover on and leave it on too.

Mine too hits on the smallest pieces and they could be deep too. The other day me and the neighbor dug half way to China before I found the sliver of a brass valve. Also use Plumbers Grease on those O-Rings I wouldn't use Vaseline on them at all. Or you can head over to a NAPA store and buy a tube of dielectric Marine grease at any autoparts store. http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts/PartDetails.aspx?Id=BK_7651824_0361152134 that is the link for NAPA.

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro mode is recommended on saltwater beaches. Phantom signals can be iron rust halos that get broken when you open the hole.

Wayne

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even wrap my cable from the coil. I go straight up the shaft using Velcro because I change coils so frequently. Near the top I make one or two wraps then plug it into the head unit. I bought the Velcro strips in Home Depot, works great, and quick too.
I also get those phantom hits and after digging they disappear. No problem, just part of the game.
Just stick with it, dig a lot, watch a lot of videos and hang around in here.
Pete

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys! I will be using some of these things asap.

Made my second trip to a local park today and I think I am starting to get the hang of the tones. Started moving from standard to pro and back again to hear how it seperates things.

Man.....this thing hits on some tiny stuff! Had my biggest haul so far. .32 cents, Woot woot!

.25 clad quarter
.5 clad nickel
.1 x'2

Oldest coin so far was one of the pennies. 1966 canadian.

Would have stayed out longer but the rain started and it was getting dark.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol dark ok rain Haha those pro fear no rain buddy

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have had constant rain for three days here now!:dontknow: That won't stop the ATP from hunting,but the LIGHTNING will,stop me!:BangHead:

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park closed at dusk.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO! And that my friends is called the "badpenny curse"!

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has signaled on the slightest amount of metal. The other day I had a hit on a very small copper piece about 1/8"x1/8" and i dug the hole and nothing. I used my pro pointer in the hole and nothing then scanned the dirt with my machine and had a hit then used my pointer and got a hit then it went away and then it hit again. I filtered all the dirt through my hand before I found the little bit of copper. So sometimes you need to be patient and sift every grain of dirt to find a tiny piece that may be worth nothing.

Also everything GuerillaBill said is correct

I have found very tiny jean rivets like this along with 22 lead. The AT Pro will find some of the tiniest items that at times the Pro Pointer will not even detect.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another tip is to,remove your coil cover and clean it out every so often. This is what I found under my coil after 3 weeks of use!:thumbsup:
010_zps58d5a723.jpg
011_zps2c73eb58.jpg

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can set the iron audio up to get rid of some of the false signals. Basically you will have to make a decision whether to dig those signals. The machine will definitely let you know if there is a target beneath the coil. You can also try one of the different frequencies. When I search by the ocean I will drop the sensitivity by one.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Egh! Ugly...
That's why I haven't even put a cover on mine yet!! LOL
I want to see how long it lasts. That's poured epoxy inside them
coils I believe and tough as ----
I think coil covers are gimmicks that started years ago and everyone
fell for it! Listen to me! hahahaha
Anyway, I'm not going to put one on.. Crazy? I don't know, maybe
but I think I'm the only person doing an expensive test like this huh? hahahah

I will probably spray it though with some of that Dip It stuff or whatever it's called...

Pete

Another tip is to,remove your coil cover and clean it out every so often. This is what I found under my coil after 3 weeks of use!:thumbsup:
010_zps58d5a723.jpg
011_zps2c73eb58.jpg

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it basically comes down to what u wanna do i found it comforting to use it when im out in heavy thick brush with rocks etc hitting the coil I think it does protect it in the water it comes off not really a harsh enviornment. Imean same as a hard rubber plastic cell phone case its just a simple in expensive way really to basically protect ur investment id rather damage a $15 cover then a $130 coil. I myself have those & covers on all my coils & detectors screens boxes etc I got alot of money in this hobby & all the items r like my babies so gotta protect them cant afford to replace them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread