Couple AT pro questions from a beginner

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah a neighbor showed me his old machine. He was into detecting years ago,and the coil was worn out! It had all the epoxy worn off one side,and he said it also had a crack in it,and wouldn't work if moisture got in it. He looked over the ATP and was amazed at how it sorted everything out. He noticed the coil cover and said that was a great idea. Then he dug into a big bag of his older stuff,and showed me 2 more coils that had been worn out. On one coil you could see the wires of the coil.:unhappysmiley:

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a question about beach hunting with the ATP. I was out with it earlier today and was having some trouble getting it to auto balance. Could not get it to settle down in the wet sand, but had a little better luck on the dry stuff. I'm hunting in Mass. Any tips?

Also, when trying to pinpoint with the ATP I would sometimes get a signal no matter where I dragged the detector. What I mean is, I would try to pinpoint an area of say 12" and work my way in, but if I swung it out to my far right 3-4ft. I would still get a strong pinpoint signal. Is this normal? I was getting tons of phantom signals today in STD (lots of 80-90's 10+" deep) mode and finally decided to call it a day and watch the videos again.

I've learned a lot from these forums so far and glad to be here!

CM

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a question about beach hunting with the ATP. I was out with it earlier today and was having some trouble getting it to auto balance. Could not get it to settle down in the wet sand, but had a little better luck on the dry stuff. I'm hunting in Mass. Any tips?

Also, when trying to pinpoint with the ATP I would sometimes get a signal no matter where I dragged the detector. What I mean is, I would try to pinpoint an area of say 12" and work my way in, but if I swung it out to my far right 3-4ft. I would still get a strong pinpoint signal. Is this normal? I was getting tons of phantom signals today in STD (lots of 80-90's 10+" deep) mode and finally decided to call it a day and watch the videos again.

I've learned a lot from these forums so far and glad to be here!

CM

Im from mass aswell have been to the Cape couple of times ur better off doin a manual ground balance instead of auto,as of the othr signals to make sure that when ur swingin ur coil make sure ur not lifing the coil at the end of each swing it will give u a false & could b to that u didnt get a good gb at the start when at the beaches I found it more stable running a low sensitivity w/ a manual gb

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS manually GB on the beach...
This way you can be dead nut with it instead of relying
on the Auto and maybe being off!

Pete

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS manually GB on the beach...
This way you can be dead nut with it instead of relying
on the Auto and maybe being off!

Pete

What do you manually set your GB on wet sand vs. dry stuff?

Thanks!
CM

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can manually ground balance by adjusting until it quiets down. Different areas of the US ground balance differently. In TX and FL , I've ground balanced between 0-20. But MA may be different. If you still get chatter, turn the sensitivity down a notch or two.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can manually ground balance by adjusting until it quiets down. Different areas of the US ground balance differently. In TX and FL , I've ground balanced between 0-20. But MA may be different. If you still get chatter, turn the sensitivity down a notch or two.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com
No in mass ur right around the same 0-20 im usually around 13-17 & have been at 8-9 to just all depends no 2 places or even a couple yards apart in the same área r gonna b the same ull get the hang of it its a great machine

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! It's different all around the beach area. I just hit the GB button once,
pump and make an adjustment and keep going... only takes a few seconds!
Down by the water I'm around 10ish or so but up in the dry it goes up higher, just depends!
You'll see when you try it...
Oh, and yes, turn the sensitivity down some like Wayne said..

Pete

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread