Couple of Gold Pieces from an Estate

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Got a call from my friends that run estate sales to come look at some jewelry they had. These are a couple of the more interesting pieces out of just over 5 ozt of mixed 10k & 14k I picked up. The first is a 14k Italian double Omega choker. The other one is a piece marked 14k & handmade that weighs in at over .8 ozt. Anyone have an idea on value for the first & what the symbol of the 2nd might be?

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The symbol is a dove! It means peace, and usually has a godly connotation.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
price paid ?

I'm not going to get into specifics other than to say I pay a fair price. I decided a few years back that it was better to make a reasonable profit on most of what comes available rather than make a great profit on a much smaller amount. We have 5 local estate sale companies here. The biggest company & the smallest company both call me to come by & make an offer long before the actual sale. I buy around 90% of their jewelry. Two of the other companies sell me everything they get that is damaged and/or common, plus give me first shot at the rest at the prices they assign. They also call me in the day before half price day & let me make an offer. I buy around 70% of the jewelry they find. The last company overprices everything including jewelry so I'm only able to buy the things they price wrong. I'm also on the pre-presale invitation list of the first 4 companies & generally manage to buy anything that slipped through the cracks and got classified as costume.

I used to have to head straight to the jewelry section when the sale opened. Now I can look for the other things which would be gone by the time I got through sorting through the jewelry. When spot prices were high I was also buying most of the sterling flatware & holloware. That came to a stop when spot dropped making many pieces worth more than spot.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I can see that although the picture from the back looks more like a dove than the front.

My aunt was a nun. Her and her nun pals all wore some variation of the dove. There are a couple in the below pic that are very similar to yours.

Attachments

• Doves.jpg
    Doves.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 504

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My aunt was a nun.
Same here. Only it is my wife's aunt and she is about 85 right now. She is Japanese and we were visiting her (she does not speak English and I do not speak Japanese) and during dinner (there were several people at the long table) I heard some Spanish words and wondeded where they came from. It was from my wife's aunt. So now we could communicate very slightly. Turns out when she became a nun it was for an order of Italian nuns that came over. They treated her very badly and made her do all the cleaning and cooking. That is when she learned Spanish. She got fed up with the way she was treated and quit. The funny part is she married a Buddhist monk who later became the "pastor" of a temple. When we visited her at the Buddhist temple she was cleaning and cooking.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing exciting about the prices. This was a solid base hit but definitely not a home run.

Oh, but what a "base hit"!!!

My Gosh! If this is just a base hit, then the gold I'm finding these days comes down to A BUNT....:tongue3:

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread