Couple of questions, this is very cool

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhhhh young blood, you have a lot to learn.
CRH is simple a gamble without a risk.
The only loss is your time.
Depending on your area, you'll find whats good huntin'.
For example, in SoCal, we hit halfs hard (a few others and myself), and I do it as a part time job. One of my friends does it as a full time job.
Then again, we move tens of thousands a week in halfs, and have to endure 50+ boxes with nothing sometimes!
It's all hit and miss, some people say its cheaper to just go buy silver... and that is true in most places around the country.
Don't really know where I was going with this....
It's late lol, time for bed.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhhhh young blood, you have a lot to learn.
CRH is simple a gamble without a risk.
The only loss is your time.
Depending on your area, you'll find whats good huntin'.
For example, in SoCal, we hit halfs hard (a few others and myself), and I do it as a part time job. One of my friends does it as a full time job.
Then again, we move tens of thousands a week in halfs, and have to endure 50+ boxes with nothing sometimes!
It's all hit and miss, some people say its cheaper to just go buy silver... and that is true in most places around the country.
Don't really know where I was going with this....
It's late lol, time for bed.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea people hunted rolls of coins! Unbelievable, there is something for me to do in the winter! I read the write up for new people and whoever wrote it did a heck of a good job. What do you do with the coins that aren't valuable? I mean if I were to buy 100 bucks worth of halves and not find anything good, I really don't want 100 dollars worth of halves and whatever else I get to just sit around, rather put it in my bank account if I could. Doesn't that coin star thing charge a fee? Do the coin star things even accept halves? Hey very cool hobby you guys do, if you have any advice I'm all ears. Thanks.

:hello2: Welcome to TNET & the madness. This hobby does get to be a addiction after a while. There are stickys up top. Read them as they have lots of good information for a newbie. Also don't be afraid to ask questions, people on this site have lots of information that they will be willing to share. Just be aware that some people on the site are grouches & might give you a hard time about some of your questions. First off, you should set up a network of pickup places & dump places. For most people that is banks or credit unions. You can buy a box of coins for different amounts. If you plan on searching half dollars, a box is $500 each. You could also ask the bank if they have any rolls or loose halves. You might have to open a account with a bank in order to get coins or drop them off. Some banks or credit unions may have coin counting machines which makes things easier to get rid of the coins but they might also charge fees for the machine or limit the amount of coins but can put thru daily. You would have to find out the particulars for each bank or credit union. After I go thru a box, the coins that aren't keepers I dump & reuse the money to get my next box. The coin star does charge a fee unless you get a gift certificate for some store. I believe they accept halfs but I don't know for sure. I don't use them because of the fee.

HH
Gary

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the HOBBY. It's a lot of fun, and can be relaxing. Like others said setup is key. Don't rush into it. It's better to have more dump banks than order banks. Dumping is what gets most people stuck or frustrated in this hobby. The best advice I can give is, it's a hobby not a job. Be consistent and smooth and the silver will flow. Running around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to look threw as many coins as possible will only get you frustrated and your silver finds will not turn into a profit at all , You will loose money. Start off small and work your way up to larger volume , if you want to even do large volume at all. Good luck.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey instead of using sandbags for weight in your trunk you can use boxes of half dollars. I use to live in MN and I believe TCF bank was best to dump at because free use of machines if you have an account. Just take it slow like everyone on here tells you. No need to rush winter won't be over anytime soon. Lol

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up 16 boxes yesterday, that's $8,000 worth, and found the following:

image-3591168326.jpg

-_-

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop!! Before you search one more roll please find out what coins are silver and what they look like.

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you didnt read the beginners thread all the way through or very thoroughly-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle cap another very important thing to learn is what coins to look for and how to identify them. A quick google search can help with this. Get yourself familiar with the different types of half dollars and other denominations before you continue. You don't want to put the effort in only to discard a keeper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread