Couple stones need help with positive ID's

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Been cutting some of these beautiful stones up that I've found and making jewelry, but hoping someone can help me with real ID of these things so I know what I have here.

_JON5529-2.jpg _JON5531-2.jpg

I was thinking grey moonstone for the 1st one and bloodstone for the 2nd one, any help appreciated.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1 Might be chalcedony.

Need better pics of the rough surface of #2. Not the sawed of section. Photograph dry.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's a beauty of a rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK took new pics of stones dry, sorry they're already sliced up, i'm that impatient sort, lol. Also wondering about a third rock, it's pretty big, translucent gray, similar to the first pic. Anyway, when looking at pics I thought #'s 1 and 3 looked like some kind of grey feldspar, and #2 with the green and reds I thought bloodstone, but it seems more granite-like than jasper-like to me, like the crystalline structure isn't as fine as the other jaspers I find around here. Thanks for the help!

_JON5541.jpg _JON5538.jpg _JON5536.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK took new pics of stones dry, sorry they're already sliced up, i'm that impatient sort, lol. Also wondering about a third rock, it's pretty big, translucent gray, similar to the first pic. Anyway, when looking at pics I thought #'s 1 and 3 looked like some kind of grey feldspar, and #2 with the green and reds I thought bloodstone, but it seems more granite-like than jasper-like to me, like the crystalline structure isn't as fine as the other jaspers I find around here. Thanks for the help!

View attachment 1632870 View attachment 1632872 View attachment 1632871

#3 is quartz for sure. not certain on weather #2 is a granitoid or just quartz with odd inclusions. (you must always ID stuff before sawing/cutting)

#1 still looks like chalcedony. If so, a knife shouldn't scratch it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jasper84

Greenie
Aug 15, 2018
NW MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! #1 is quite hard, a knife won't scratch it, and it takes noticeably longer to cut and grind with diamond blades and discs than the other stones I usually work with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread