Rubies in North Carolina.

Sep 12, 2018
Cleveland TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking around my new local area here in the States, and I see there is a ruby mine not far over the state line in North Carolina. Has anyone got any advice, warnings or tips about going to these places that allow you to pitch in? I am in the middle of researching and it seems on the up-and-up.

Thanks in advance.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the areas around Franklin, NC do produce sapphires and an occasional ruby. The heyday of the area was back in the 60's to 80's, a lot of the mines are now closed. You can do a web search for places to go. The properties where you can go are fee based. One or two have natural materials only, others have non-US sapphires thrown in the mix.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been a while since I was in Franklin, at that time there was only two where you mined non-enhanced native material, one was Cherokee Ruby mine where they dug the material for you and brought it to you in buckets. The only one where you go actually dig your own material was Mason"s Mine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Sep 12, 2018
Cleveland TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I will research further. Not sure of the value of doing it, but it should give me something to do while I wait for my detectors and panning gear etc to get shipped over, or replace it all.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread