Cracking the rock

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Last weekend I went back up to Milk Creek because I wanted to chip a piece off of a rock I had found that was setting my detector off, and also try a little panning for gold. No luck on the panning, I know Blackfoot found some up there, but I guess I'm not so good at it. I got my rock hammer and tried to chip a chunk off of this rock, which was a bit larger in size than a basketball, and weighed probably about 250 - 300 pounds. Rock hammer would not get anything but a few small chips, so I was getting tired of working so hard. I pulled out my Blackhawk 44 caliber and shot the rock about 4 times at an angle, so the bullet wouldn't come back in my direction. That loosened up a few good size pieces. Hows that for a high tech sampling technique? I still have not figured out what I have yet, might need to chemically test it.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Yes it was, that is how I knew it was not a lodestone because a TDI will not see a lodestone. Had it been a lodestone, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i got this cool little sampling toy it is called 50 cal desert eagle havent shot it in a while ammo not cheap i have been going to the range and getting brass so my uncle can reload it for me he said get a big bag it will be caheaper to reload a big batch than several little ones

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I wouldn't call it a toy, or a pistol . . . . I'd call that a cannon! :laughing7: I thought about getting one of those but it is made in Israel as I understand it, I'll keep my money for more ethical countries.

The desert eagle is not the big boy on the block though, check this out:

There may be a 700 caliber too. I'm not sure . . . but who'd want to carry the damn thing?

Also, the first time I shot the rock, I did not have my ear plugs in, and it made my ears ring, so for lack of earplugs, I took a few of the right size stones and plugged my ears. But with a higher caliber, I am not so sure I would want to risk shooting it without earplugs, and you do not want to have to wear your ear plugs all the time when you are metal detecting. If someone asked me for a recommendation on what gun to use, I'd probably recommend a 44 or lesser, depending on the size of the person and their general physical condition . . .

Wizzard

May 3, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab Quattro
"but it is made in Israel as I understand it, I'll keep my money for more ethical countries.
"

flame bait ?????

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
No, if that is what it was I would say why, but this is not the forum for such discussions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread