Pieces of the Rock

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Here are a few photos of the rock I sampled. First picture shows the rock itself, Next one shows what the surface looks like up close, and the other two are photos of the interior of the rock. I'm suspecting that the rock either just has high iron content or contains a lot of magnetite, a compass does not respond to it, it is not a lodestone. A strong magnet does produce a small amount of attraction. Last photo is something to give you an idea of what Senator Highway looks like on the way to Palace Station from Mayer.

Attachments

• The Rock 00.jpg
    The Rock 00.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 523
  • The Rock 01.jpg
    The Rock 01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 511
  • The Rock 02.jpg
    The Rock 02.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 505
  • The Rock 03.jpg
    The Rock 03.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 520
  • Rough Spot on Senator Hwy.jpg
    Rough Spot on Senator Hwy.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 504
OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
No, copper would have developed a greenish color on the outside, best I could tell it was iron, probably mixed with something else. Funny part is, White's TDI is not suppose to pick up hot rocks . . . . well it did this one.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Holy Sh**, was I wrong about this?

I was just looking at a photo of the Murchison meteorite, and I am thinking, damn! this looks kind of like the rock I found up there at Milk Creek! I would like to see if I can get a photo of the outside part of the Murchison meteorite, maybe I have just misunderstood what a meteorite is suppose to look like on the outside . . . . anyway, here is a close up of the inside of the Murchison meteorite. . .

In answer to the last respondent . . . yes, it is heavier than any normal rock, it was no fun trying to get out out of the ground, it was buried up to about 90%.

Attachments

• Murchison.jpg
    Murchison.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 284

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread