Crappy pics? Use the "macro" mode on your camera!

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Crappy pics? Use the "macro" mode on your camera!

I have to say that the number of really lousy pics out here never ceases to amaze me. That's why I think this needs to be made into a sticky and we need to keep hammering it home every time you see a lousy closeup shot. Most people simply don't realize that their camera has multiple "modes" and that using the standard mode for close ups doesn't work. They blame it on their "crappy" camera when in reality their camera is just fine.

So if you are getting lousy close up pictures try switching your camera to "macro mode". There is usually a switch on the camera or a menu setting that you can use (often marked with the picture of a flower). Macro mode changes the lens so that it can take close up pictures without being blurry.

Blurry pictures does not equal bad camera. They usually idicate a bad photographer who doesn't understand that you can't take far away shots and close up shots with the exact same camera settings and expect them to all be high quality.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Crappy pics? Use the "macro" mode on your camera!

I will be the first to admit, I am a crappy photographer.

Thanks for the info, I will check out my camera for a macro mode.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250

And even when using macro mode, you can still take blurry pics if you take your camera too close to the object. Always take many pictures from multiple distances so you hopefully have at least one good picture.

Learn how to use your camera! If you are able to learn your detector, camera should be piece of cake! :D

Messick81

May 6, 2009

thanks for the info i will have one up on my daughter now.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

To add to this topic.. in Macro mode most cameras will have some sort of indicator telling you when the focus and exposure is at it's best. My point and shoot Nikons have a little flower that turns green. Try to use the far end of this, meaning taking the picture in macro as far away from the relic/coin as possible. This helps to prevent flash burnout of relics, esp things like silver coins. Also, I usually tape a single layer of tissue paper over the flash to prevent this while shooting with as much natural light as possible. Using a slow flash sync will help this a little but it depends. Changing how the camera meters the light is important to, depending on what I am shooting sometimes matrix metering is better... sometimes spot. For "normal" relics I usually just handshoot to get a usable picture and slap it up on T-net but for better relics I setup a mini tripod and some additional lighting for much better pictures. Side lighting helps highlight low detail coins and such.. usually using just one light source so you have some shadows.. that really seems to help. Ironically, I was setting up to shoot some coins and relics when I read this.. I'll post a link when I get them done. Hope this helps...

MB

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't use my flash do to glare I use back light. Also keep in mind most cameras have an auto focus, by pressing and holding the button that takes the picture half way. This will auto focus on most cameras then press the button the rest of the way to take your picture. Another thing is make sure you hold real still, rest your hands on something or use a tripod. Good post !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Monkey and MUD, good points on the flash and focus. When you are very close to a subject a flash can easily wash it out. It is often best to turn off the flash and use an alternate source of lighting when using Macro mode. Also, focusing in Macro mode can be a little trickier. Some auto focus systems have more trouble in macro mode so be patient and make sure the picture looks good before snapping it.

I think that about 75% of the blurry pics out here could be solved simply by changing to macro mode and doing nothing else different.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

I have a cheap digital camera and it takes crappy pictures. I do 100% of my outdoor photography with film and only use the cheap digital to take crappy photos to post on Tnet.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

You can also use a magnifying glass in front of the camera lens to get closer sharper photos.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're right, jb7487. The best thing I do, is look at my pics before I post them, then I know if they're blurred.

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

I have a Nikon too and found this useful:

Turn the macro mode on then set the camera about 12-18 inches from the object. If it doesn't show up large enough in the display, then zoom in. As long as you are 12-18 inches from the object it is in the macro range. Zoom to fill the frame. Pictures should turn out ok then.
:icon_thumleft:

dirtdigger57

Greenie
Dec 28, 2009

Not everyone is an expert photographer. That is why we have open forums where we should be able to get the answers. I posted a so called crappy picture. Could use a little less criticism from you experts and a little more down to earth advice. When you get to be an expert with all the answers let us know.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

At least some make up for a blurry photo by posting it so huge, it only shows up on 25% of the screen at a time. :tongue3: :laughing7:

dirtdigger57

Greenie
Dec 28, 2009

Rando--Not criticizing the information. I am saying not everyone is an expert. Has nothing to do with reading the instructions or whatever. I am saying we should be able to ask questions or if we post a pic or something in question form, it would be the proper thing for you experts and able to do it right the first time to have some paitence with us unlearned photographers. I try to helpful to all. Some who come to me I may think as--you should know that--but I keep trying to help. Never know when the tables will be turned. Smart alecs on any forum, which I am on many, give the forum a bad name, especially when the moderators of the forum let it continue. I guess I will have to post my crappy pictures on other forums where helpful infor will be given minus the smart ---- criticism. This forum came recommended, but.......

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like buying the Kodak easy shares, I tend to drop them in rivers and off mountains. This way I do not cry to much when I destroy one. The macro on the last one sucks. Never worked right. Its a 6.0 meg and you would think it would work. I end up using the self portrait mode. I do read the instructions btw. :dontknow:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I still chuckle about the photos we posted in the beginning. ::)

I'm grateful for the Charter Members that helped us.

And still remember the ones that mocked (mock) us. (mostly the jealous old guys)
To us, it's just a hobby and didn't realize how competitive some of you are.

The disturbing part was it was The kids (7-12 yr olds) that were posting mostly and trying to learn. It was some of the members that have been here for a long time that really upset them by what they had posted and said.

Try explaining to the kids why adults say things they do.

Some refer to them as the "pets"

A couple of them have since written apology letters but continue to make nasty comments to other members or belittle them.

You know who you are.

If any one ever needs our help we will be glad to do our best to help you. This is how we learn.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rando said:
4-H said:
I still chuckle about the photos we posted in the beginning. ::)

I'm grateful for the Charter Members that helped us.

And still remember the ones that mocked (mock) us. (mostly the jealous old guys)
To us, it's just a hobby and didn't realize how competitive some of you are.

The disturbing part was it was The kids (7-12 yr olds) that were posting mostly and trying to learn. It was some of the members that have been here for a long time that really upset them by what they had posted and said.

Try explaining to the kids why adults say things they do.

Some refer to them as the "pets"

A couple of them have since written apology letters but continue to make nasty comments to other members or belittle them.

You know who you are.

If any one ever needs our help we will be glad to do our best to help you. This is how we learn.

This.
lol Find the flower on the camera.
Selcect.
Set La camrera on LA tripIod Snap!
Make sure your picture isn't too big.

That's another thread

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

::)

When I post pictures on a Topic, they are from my saved pictures, I save them in windows photo gallery, so when I click onto a picture to post, I already know what size it is, and wether it's in focus or not. If it's to big I just resize it in windows gallery, I do this to all my pictures before even writing a post. I think a lot of folks download pictures by usb, rather from a card, either direct from the computer or via a card reader, I think this is the best way :)

SS

Attachments

• vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 199
  • vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 202

dirtdigger57

Greenie
Dec 28, 2009

thanks grey eagle. There are many on these forums, both old and young who want to learn more about the hobby. It is up to us who have done it for awhile to teach them. Using undo criticism, especially coming from those who claim to be a true treasure hunter, hurts the hobby. Those who may want to be a part of it or of a certain forum may turn completly away. Let us help each other and the newbies out there.

Rando--did not mean to come across to harsh. But the fellow who was being very unkind in his remarks needs to tone it down for those who may not know the good way. That is why we ask. Have a great day and may God Bless you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread