if you were to buy a used metal detector, what would you look for?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how would you test it? What can a person do to make sure that what they buy is gonna work?

Recently there have been some good buys in the newspaper and on craigslist, but I don't want to buy someone elses junker.

Let's say your looking at a used Minelab EXcal for a very nice price, how do you test it waterwise if you're standing on dry land 5 miles from the beach?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You drive 5 miles to the beach. :-X ..but that might not even help because it's a used detector. I have no problem buying most used machines but a water unit I'm not sure I would. I'd at least go through Ebay and pay with Paypal. Paypal totally favors the buyer so a claim saying it didn't work would be granted in your favor. Just make sure the seller has feedback, and more auctions, otherwise a PP claim is worthless if there's no $$$ to grab.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cant take it to a beach, take it to a pool, just stay away from the bottom or sides if it isn't fiberglass pool, because of the re bar.

I would first try to find one first from a respected member of one of the boards, most of us care about our reps.

I have bought 3 excals and a waterproofed sovereign gt used and all 4 units worked perfectly on arrival. One came from ebay, 3 from the boards, from respected members....

I just picked up a used excal for $475 shipped off a board, going to build a straight shaft for it, maybe $25 to build. I found a used WOT coil for it for $80.

Good luck...............

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I would make sure if I were to buy it that the owners manual comes with it or if not enough information that I could download one. There are a great lot of top line detectors sitting in closets that the owner was never interested in using or lost interest quickly when they found it too complicated to enjoy.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people want too much for a used unit. I have seen 6 month old detectors listed for more than you can get them now. I like PayPal both as a seller and buyer.

Trying out a detector is great if you can. Look for loose things, scratches, dents. On water detectors, try to take apart the shaft, they are notorious for jamming if not cared for. Look inside, any corrosion at all is a warning sign.

I like to buy from TNET from a member who i have seen posting for a while. I try to get a feel for who they are. Some I would not touch, some I buy from.

Don't fall for the it's under warranty. Not all warranties transfer, not all are life time. If you don,t see a dated receipt don,t count on a warranty and buy accordingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread