Crescent Pin and IHP

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worked the only spot without snow on it that has produced things before. Found this 1907 IHP which is my first item from this spot with a date older than a wheaty. Then I found this really interesting pin. Looks like it would have had some type of jewels in it at some point. Any ideas on its age or meaning? I tried some searching but found nothing too similar. Thanks for looking! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490197958.676073.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490197981.244455.jpg

Upvote 10

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
With that hair she's either a "Gibson Girl" or imitating one. Popular in the 1890's-1910's.

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this helps, I copied this from a site about Victorian era jewelry.

"A very popular feminine symbol in the Victorian era was the mystical crescent moon & star motif, traditionally embellished with rhinestones & seed pearls. Crescent moons in Victorian jewelry often represented spirituality and the glorification of the Feminine Moon Goddess. Whilst the stars were symbols of direction, and guidance for the spirit."

Last edited:
OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope this helps, I copied this from a site about Victorian era jewelry.

"A very popular feminine symbol in the Victorian era was the mystical crescent moon & star motif, traditionally embellished with rhinestones & seed pearls. Crescent moons in Victorian jewelry often represented spirituality and the glorification of the Feminine Moon Goddess. Whilst the stars were symbols of direction, and guidance for the spirit."

Wow thanks that is a great description. I appreciate it a lot! Puts a solid era to the symbolism for sure.

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver, that pin is pretty cool. Nice hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread